Tuition increases by 3.8 percent

Observer Staff Report

Undergraduate tuition will increase to $44,605 for the 2013-14 academic year, according to a Feb. 13 University press release.

The rise in tuition amounts to a 3.8 percent increase over the current cost, an uptick consistent with the previous three years' tuition rate increases. This 3.8 rate of increase is the lowest since 1960.

Including average on-campus room and board rates of $12,512, total student charges for next year tuition will be an estimated $57,117.

The release paraphrased University President Fr. John Jenkins' statement in a recent letter to parents of returning students.

"Fr. Jenkins wrote that Notre Dame seeks to return the highest value for the students' educational investment. He said new resources will help Notre Dame grow in areas such as internships, study abroad programs and undergraduate research," the release stated.

Jenkins pointed to a high four-year graduation rate, average salaries and average satisfaction from post-graduate surveysas metrics proving the tuition to be a worthwhile investment.

In the statement, Jenkins assured students the University will make the best use of these funds to continue to offer an excellent education and experience.

"We are committed to careful stewardship of the University's resources so that we may offer your student the best possible educational experience and prepare them well for life beyond Notre Dame," Jenkins said.