Notre Dame disallows large bags in stadium

In time for the football season opener tomorrow, the University updated its policy on bags in Notre Dame Stadium, director of Game Day Operations Michael Seamon said.

The new policy states large bags, including backpacks, duffels and tote bags, are not allowed in the stadium, Seamon said. 

"Any smaller purses or bags that are brought will be inspected at the entrance to the stadium, just as they have always been," Seamon said. 

Seamon said a review of the bag policy was planned after the conclusion of last football season.

"Then Boston happened," he said, referencing the bombings at the Boston Marathon on April 15, when bombs were hidden in backpacks. 

Seamon said Game Day Operations consulted with peer institutions and the National Football League, which updated its own bag policy for the 2013 football season, when creating Notre Dame's new policy. 

"The new policy was announced at the end of July, and we've sent notices to all ticketholders," he said. 

Seamon said the new policy has been well received. 

"We've seen an increase in security across the country," he said. "People realize we are doing this for your safety."

Fans who visit the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore before the game can carry their purchases into the stadium in the bookstore's clear plastic bags, Seamon said. 

Phil Johnson, director of Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP), said NDSP encourages all students and fans to help maintain a safe game day environment. 

"If you see something suspicious, say something," Johnson said. "We rely on fans to look out for each other, and that really distinguishes the Notre Dame community." 

Johnson said NDSP coordinates with local and state police to ensure the safety of people on campus during game days. 

"We have a robust security plan," he said. "We want to implement it without detracting from the fan experience."

Because of the extreme heat expected for this Saturday, Seamon said Game Day Operations encourages fans to stay hydrated and cool. 

"We will have a misting station outside of Gate A, similar to what you'd find at a marathon," he said. 

Additionally, Seamon said there is an evacuation plan in place in the event of inclement weather. 

"People will be asked to go into concourses or in buildings surrounding the stadium," Seamon said. "We will use the intercom system to communicate to fans the time the game will resume."

Contact Catherine Owers at cowers@nd.edu