Women's Interhall: After hot start, Purple Weasels take on Badin

Pasquerilla West vs. Badin

After wrapping up the first week of flag football, Pasquerilla West and Badin find themselves on opposite sides of the standings headed into their matchup Tuesday.

Pasquerilla West captain BreeziToole said the Purple Weasels (2-0) hope their opening-week momentum will carry over to their matchup this week. They rode their defense to a 6-0 win against a tough Cavanaugh team on Sunday and a 27-7 win over Pasquerilla East on Tuesday.

"We're not going to go into this game with an over-confident mindset," Toole said. "We know what we have to do and that is put our best effort out there."

She also said the key for this matchup will be team play, efficiency and getting rid of little mistakes.

Badin (0-2) will look to bounce back this week after losing to Lyons 32-6 in its season opener Sunday. The Lions jumped off to a quick start, and the Bullfrogs could not bounce back. Badin fell to Cavanaugh 20-0 in its second game Tuesday.

Badin sophomore captain Kristina Techar said the Bullfrogs, who sport a young team with little experience, would look to get on the right track with a win against the Weasels.

"We're looking for more fluidity on our offense," she said. "We'll practice more this week and look to gel more on the offensive side of the ball."

Techar also said her squad will try to instill a more complex running game in order to get the ball moving and the offense rolling.  
The Purple Weasels and the Bullfrogs will clash Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Riehle Fields.   

Contact Jose Fernandez at  jfernan9@nd.edu

Lewis vs. Lyons

Lewis and Lyons will match up Tuesday in a battle of their freshmen.

Lyons senior captain Christina Bramanti said the Lions (1-0) look to carry the success they had in their opening game, a commanding 32-7 win over Badin, into their matchup against the Chicks (0-0).

With only a handful of returners this season, Lyons relied on its freshmen heavily in its first game. Bramanti said she plans to utilize them again against the Chicks.

"The freshmen got out there on Sunday and took care of business," she said. "I think we can definitely keep that going into next week."

Bramanti said she will especially look to the leadership of freshman Taylor Sears, a safety and receiver for Lyons.

"Taylor is a threat on offense and defense," Bramanti said.  "She dominates the field."

In practice this week, the senior said the Lions introduced a few new plays on offense and expanded and strengthened their defense in preparation for their game against Lewis.   

With no games in the books yet for the Chicks, senior captain Colleen Haller said they are excited to begin their season this week.  

"This year, we have a lot of freshmen playing," she said. "There was a lot of new interest and it seems like we're going to have a great team."

With no experience so far this season, Haller said Lewis will focus on the basics for its game on Tuesday.

"I'm hoping we're able to establish a good offense and get consecutive stops while the freshmen are still learning to pull flags and play the game," Haller said.

The Lions and Chicks will meet Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Riehle Fields.

Contact Alexandra Lane at alane2@nd.edu