Men's Interhall: Dawgs seek to remain undefeated

By EVAN ANDERSON

Sports Writer

Alumni looks to complete an undefeated regular season this Sunday, while Morrissey seeks to build on the momentum garnered by earning its first win of the season last weekend.

The Dawgs (3-0) won in dramatic fashion last Sunday to seize control of their own destiny in the division standings, recovering a fumble in the end zone with a minute remaining for a 10-7 victory over previously unbeaten Siegfried. Senior receiver and captain Jeffrey Kraemer said he felt the team's experience in tight games would serve the team well going forward.

"It's always good to know that you've been through it before," Kraemer said. "We are going to keep doing what we are doing and continue to play physical. ... We feel like we can play with anyone."

The Manor (1-1) also won in exciting fashion, taking the lead on a last-minute touchdown run by junior quarterback Ryan Lindquist, before sealing the 22-12 win over Duncan with a 70-yard interception return touchdown.

Morrissey junior offensive lineman and captain Patrick Valencia said he was thrilled to see his offense start to click in the second half.

"After a couple weeks of practice, we were finally able to execute in the second half," Valencia said. "I think if we can continue to do that and focus on the little things, we will be on the winning end again."

The Dawgs and Manor face off Sunday at 2:15 p.m. at Riehle Fields, with Alumni gunning to clinch a division title.

Contact Evan Anderson at eander11@nd.edu

Carroll vs. Sorin

By BRIAN PLAMONDON

Sports Writer

Carroll and Sorin are set to showdown Sunday in a game that holds serious playoff implications. The Vermin (1-0-1) are coming off of a 14-8 victory against St. Edwards, while the Otters (1-0-1) recently won by forfeit over Zahm

Carroll senior captain and lineman Mike Russell said he has noticed a change in the tempo at practice leading up to the big game. 

"We want to have a good mental attitude going into the game and are looking to come out with intensity," Russell said. 

Russell said the Vermin want to reduce the pressure on their defense, which he said starts with finding a rhythm on offense behind freshman running back Zach Dodd.

"Zach is very physical, and he runs hard," Russell said. "He's also a great tackler on defense."

Sorin comes in to the game with the same record as Carroll but has only played one official game. Despite this, senior captain and lineman Dan Yi said the team is prepared to come out ready as ever.

"Everyone knows what is on the line with playoff implications and seeding," Yi said. "Carroll is a different team than Zahm would have been and Fisher was, with a highly capable offense."

As a result, Yi said the Otter defense is playing around with multiple new schemes. On both sides of the ball, however, he said to look out for senior captain and lineman Taylor Nutter.

"Taylor was disappointed with his game against Fisher," Yi said. "Watch out, he will be doing big things against Carroll."

Carroll and Sorin will battle for the playoffs this Sunday at 3:30 p.m. at Stepan fields. 

Contact Brian Plamondon at bplamond@nd.ed

Dillon vs. Keenan

By ZACH KLONSINKI
Sports Writer

In a battle for potential playoff seeding, Keenan looks to remain undefeated when it faces off with Dillon. 

The Knights (2-0) are coming off a 7-0 win over Keough play in last weekend's bad weather. Sophomore quarterback Pat Corry found freshman receiver Michael Koller for the game's only score. Keenan did make other visits to the red zone during Sunday's game, and senior receiver and team captain Jeremy Riche said the Knights have to finish those opportunities this week.

"We had a lot of opportunities on offense either in the red zone or just throughout the game that we didn't necessarily convert on," Riche said. "That's been an emphasis on this week's practice so far, capitalizing on all our possessions."

Riche said he was pleased with the shutout by the Knights' defense, especially in the bad weather. 

"Our physical toughness definitely showed in the sloppy weather last week," Riche said. "That's all about intensity on defense and chemistry and playing with each other."

Dillon (2-1) won a hard fought battle last week against O'Neill, 13-7. Led by freshman cornerback Nick Bielanski's interception returned for a touchdown, the Big Red held the opposing offense scoreless except for a Hail Mary pass at the end of the game. Senior defensive lineman and team captain Nathaniel Steele said that Dillon must improve on offense to ensure a win this week.

"We've struggled offensively for most of the season," Steele said. "We made another adjustment to our offensive line [at halftime that]... culminated in consecutive first downs on all three of our possessions that half." 

Steele, however, said he has few concerns about the other side on the ball.

"Our defense has been a rock," Steele said.

The matchup between Dillon and Keenan will take place at 1 p.m. Sunday afternoon at Riehle fields.

Contact Zach Klonsinki at zklonsin@nd.edu

Knott vs. Duncan

By MEGAN WINKEL

Sports Writer

Duncan and Knott face off on Sunday as both teams fight to make the playoffs. 

The Highlanders (0-2) and the Juggerknotts (0-2) have had rough starts to the season, with both sides winless after two games. A victory in this game could be a lifeline to the playoff race, and Duncan junior captain Alan Keck said they are clinging to that hope

"Our goal for the season was to make playoffs, and that's not looking great right now, but I think if we concentrate on doing the little things rights we have a good shot at staying competitive in this game and pulling out a win," Keck said.

Although Keck said Duncan did not start out how it wanted to, he said he believes the team has improved since then.

"We've taken a lot of strides from where we started and we continue to improve," Keck said. 

Knott senior captain Aaron Weber also said he believes that the team as a whole has improved since the beginning of the season. Even if Knott is out of the running for the playoffs after Sunday's game, Weber said the team looks forward to the rest of the season. 

"We look to keep people motivated and appreciate the sport and the camaraderie, and not necessarily focus on the win or loss records," Weber said.

Knott and Duncan will both battle for their first victory of the season Sunday at 2:15 p.m. at Riehle Fields.

Contact Megan Winkel at mwinkel@nd.edu

Stanford vs. Keough

By JOSÉ FERNÁNDEZ

Sports Writer 

In a game between two teams coming off close losses, Keough and Stanford will look to right the ship on Sunday.

Keough (2-1) lost a tough game against Keenan last week, and is looking to move the ball offensively and give their defense some breathing room, according to senior captain and quarterback Seamus Donegan. After a game in which the Kangaroos offense did not get a first down in the first half, Donegan said he recognizes the offense needs some work. 

"Our defense is great, but on offense we need to get back to basics," Donegan said. "We are a very balanced team but we missed some personnel in our last game; we're going to get back to our game instead of just scrambling around."

Stanford (0-2) is coming off a bye week after losing to O'Neill in a low scoring affair. Senior captain Ruben Carrion said offense was a priority this past week as they prepared for the Kangaroos. 

"Offense has definitely been our main struggle thus far," Carrion said. "Hopefully after this bye week we can develop an ability to make big plays and stay consistent throughout the game."

He went on to say that even though the Griffins' next game is going to be tough, his offense and defense will be ready to get their first win of the season.

Keough and Stanford will look to get their offenses rolling when they face off Sunday at 1 p.m. at Rhiele fields. 

Contact José Fernández at jfernan9@nd.edu

Zahm vs. Fisher

By CORNELIUS McGRATH

Sports Writer

This Sunday's game between Fisher and Zahm will be crucial, as both teams long for a win that would give their teams a much needed mental boost.

The Green Wave (1-0-2) are looking to build some momentum after their convincing victory against St Edwards last weekend. Junior captain and linebacker Matthew Nagy said he hopes they continue their strong play against Zahm (0-2).

"This was our best game yet this season" Nagy said "Our offense looked really strong and I hope they can perform again this week"

Fisher's offense only scored three points prior to their game against St. Edward's, but Nagy said he believes that the tide has turned for the offense, and that the Green Wave's defense can continue to dominate.

"Whilst we did not put many points on the board our first two games, our defense only conceded three points a piece" said Nagy "They have been our biggest strength all season and I hope they are just as resilient against Zahm"

Zahm on the other hand is hoping to put last week's forfeited game behind it, and senior co-captain and offensive line Joseph Rice said the Zahmbies would be ready to play this weekend

"They are a pretty good side but the goal is always to compete and to get the win" said Rice "I truly believe we have the talent in our roster to do so"

The Zahmbies will take on the Green Wave this Sunday at 3.30pm at Riehle Fields.

Contact Cornelius McGrath at cmcgrat2@nd.edu