SMC Soccer: Belles hold off late Olivet rally

The Belles defeated MIAA opponent Olivet 2-1 on Wednesday night, holding control for most of the game and only being tested in the last minutes of the game.. 

The first shot of the game was from the Belles (8-7-3, 6-5-3 MIAA). Within three minutes of the starting whistle, senior forward Kaitlin Teichman took a shot that was blocked by the Olivet (7-10, 4-10 MIAA) goalkeeper, Deanna Zolnoski.  

The Belles continued to apply pressure and only seven minutes later freshman forward Rosie Biehl scored her fifth goal of the season off an assist from senior forward Jordan Diffenderfer

The Belles continued shot after shot throughout the first half, many of them soaring wide right and left. The Belles out shot Olivet 8-1 in the first half. 

"The first half went very well for us. We really controlled things," Belles coach Michael Joyce said.

Olivet started off the second half strong with a shot that soared just over the goal in the first minute of play. They continued the momentum and got off two shots back-to-back only to be stopped by an Olivet foul. 

The Belles then incurred their own stint of fouls, to give Olivet possession. Yet the Belles recovered and junior forward Kelly Wilson scored a goal from three yards to the near post to bring the score to 2-0. The goal was Wilson's third of the season. 

With five minutes to play another foul by the Belles put Olivet in the position to score, and a chip over junior keeper ChanlerRosenbaums's head brought the score to 2-1. 

"We made a lot of small mistakes in possession most of the second half which let them back in the game," Joyce said. "Giving up a goal with five to play made for a hectic last five minutes when they're pushing hard and gambling for the last goal." 

The Belles kept their defensive strong in the last five minutes and held the lead to gain a win against Olivet. Olivet out shot the Belles 8-4 in the second half, a major turnaround from the first half. 

The Belles will take the next couple days to prepare before their next game Saturday against Adrian. 

"It's a quick turnaround, another away game Saturday, so we'll just try to stay rested but sharp between tonight and Saturday," Joyce said. 

Saint Mary's is back in action against Adrian on Saturday at 12 p.m

Contact Meri Kelly at mkelly29@nd.edu