Women's Interhall: Season continues with four weekday contests

Lewis vs. Farley

By MANNY DE JESUS

Sports Writer

Coming off a 26-6 loss to Pasquerilla West, Farley is looking for a win Tuesday against Lewis.

Both teams have been known for their strong defenses. The Finest (1-2) had beaten Badin 34-0 by forcing five turnovers before losing to the Purple Weasels, and the Chicks (0-3) kept their last game close only allowing 18 points against Pasquerilla East.

Farley senior captain and receiver Lauren Ladowski scored three touchdowns in Farley's win over the Bulldogs. She said the Finest are looking to have another big game against Lewis.

"We're definitely looking for another win ... Tuesday against Lewis," Ladowski said.  "We've had great practices Monday and we're looking to have another good practice today."

The Finest are looking to fine-tune their high-octane offense and tough defense, Ladowski said.

"We've been working on getting everything focused," Ladowski said. "We've been working on our run game, and we've been working on our flag pulling since some of us really haven't had much experience."

Lewis senior captain and receiver Colleen Haller said the Chicks still are ready to play at a top level regardless of their record.

"We're still really excited to play," Haller said. "The girls understand what the game is all about, but we still know it's all about having fun while competing. We've been focusing on learning more about our new defensive strategies, and we've been working on the details of our [offensive] plays."

The Chicks and the Finest will take the field Tuesday at LaBar fields at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Contact Manny DeJesus at mdejesus@nd.edu

Pasquerilla East vs. Lyons

By JOSE FERNANDEZ

Sports Writer

After a great start to the season, Lyons looks to rebound from its weekend loss to Cavanaugh when it takes on Pasquerilla East Tuesday.

Lyons (2-2) is coming off a disappointing defensive showing against Lewis where they fell, 32-7, to the Chaos. Senior captain and receiver Christina Bramanti said it is important to consistently play good defense, but also that she would like the offense to produce more.

"Every time we step on the field we're looking to take care of business," said Bramanti. "When we get a few plays right, even if we don't score, it definitely makes you feel good, the momentum is on your side."

She also said her team's success is due in part to taking one game at a time, and that she doesn't see any changes to that approach.

Pasquerilla East (2-1) looks to continue to improve on defense after beating Lewis 18-6 on Sunday. Senior captain Caroline Kuse said that in previous games, the Pyros' rush defense was very poor and that it will have to be better to slow down the Lions.

"We did a good job on our pass coverage last time, but our rush defense was very porous at times," said Kuse. "If we want to win, we have to play better all around defense."

She was quick to praise her offense, however, especially the accuracy and field vision of junior quarterback Macy Mulhall.

Pasquerilla East and Lyons face off Tuesday night at 7:00 on the Riehle Fields.

Contact Jose Fernadez at jfernan9@nd.edu

Howard vs. Ryan

By CHRISTINA KOCHANSKI

Sports Writer

Ryan and Howard will go head-to-head Monday in a battle of two high-performing teams.

The Wildcat defense has shut out its opponents in all three of its games so far this season. Senior captain and receiver Maddie Swan said she believes that defense will decide if Ryan (3-0) will continue its winning streak.

"I think Howard is one of the better teams in our league and we'll definitely have to play our best," Swan said. "I know that they have a strong offense so our defense needs to capitalize on its strengths."

Howard freshman offensive lineman Jazmyn Weaver said she is confident the Ducks (3-0) will be able to respond to the Wildcats' strategy.

"We're able to be flexible with our offense and our defense," Weaver said. "We adjust to the other team rather than keeping to a few simple plays."

Swan said this game is personally important as well as important to the standings.

"In my sophomore year we were first in our division and lost to [the Ducks] in the playoffs in an overtime situation," Swan said. "We want to show them that we can beat them."

Both Swan and Weaver said the players on their respective teams have settled in and are working well together at this point in the season. Freshman quarterback Kathleen Conaty leads the Ryan offense, while senior captain Clare Robinson throws for Howard.

The Wildcats and the Ducks will clash at 10 p.m. Monday on Stepan Fields.

Contact Christina Kocanski at ckochans@nd.edu

Breen-Phillips vs. McGlinn Preview

By ALEX CARSON

Sports Writer

Breen-Phillips enters Monday's matchup against McGlinn coming off a Sunday thrashing at the hands of Ryan, while the Shamrocks are coming off their first win of the season.

The Babes (0-3) had lost to Pangborn and Howard before falling to the Wildcats, but Babes senior captain and linebacker Monica McNerney said she remains upbeat heading towards this weekend's games.

"Our second game against Howard was much better," McNerney said. "Our defense was able to stop Howard's run game and while we improved, we still have a lot of work to do."

On the other side, McGlinn added its first entry in the win column with a 25-0 victory over Walsh. Shamrocks (1-2) senior captain and receiver Tara Crown also praised her team's second-game improvement before notching the first win.

"The first game we had major issues on both the offensive and defensive side," Crown said. "But in the second game the defense definitely fixed their issues, but we're still trying to fix the chemistry offensively between our quarterback and receivers."

Both McNerney and Crown said their teams put in extra work in practice last week to prepare.

The Babes will be looking for big contributions from two freshmen, defensive lineman Michaela McInerney and quarterback KahekeMartinson.

The Shamrocks will be counting on production from the quarterback position as well, with sophomore Katherine Petrovich calling the shots, while senior defensive back KaitlynKeelin leads the McGlinn defensive unit.

The Shamrocks and Babes will meet Monday night to do battle at 10:00 p.m. at the Stepan fields.

Contact Alex Carson at acarson1@nd.edu