Group discusses food options

At Wednesday night's student senate meeting, student body president Alex Coccia said student government would introduce a new sexual assault prevention campaign next semester called "One Is Too Many."

"When we come back next semester, we're going to increase conversation about this on campus," he said. "What we're planning on doing is a door-to-door pledge campaign within the dorms, and when we get back there will be bystander training to help those involved learn how to have this conversation with people in their dorms."

The pledge campaign will focus on inciting conversation in the dorms about sexual assault and students' attitudes and thoughts on the issue, Coccia said.

Also at the meeting, new food services director Chris Abayasinghe and the University's senior executive chef Don Miller spoke about upcoming changes in the food services program.

Abayasinghe said he wants students to be more involved in food choices on campus.

"What I was thinking was that we could start a student dining advisory committee made up of 10 or 12 students who would meet monthly to help food services," he said. "Committee members would have to love food and be engaged, and to know that those on this committee would have the power to impact every person on this campus."

Miller said he has plans for several new on-campus eating options in the coming year. Most notably, Miller said Grab and Go is going to get an update for second semester.

"I can tell you next semester that you'll see a lot of variety, lots of kinds of sandwiches, lots of different breads," he said. "We've made every effort to move it in that direction.

"We've done something as well from a quality perspective. ... We've changed our working shifts around it so we can have fresher food at Grab and Go. Prior to this semester the food was usually a day old by the time it got onto shelves."

Abayasinghe said Food Services is working on acquiring more local produce as well as promoting sustainability.

"Sustainability is very important to me personally," he said. "We have several places where you can use reusable things for coffee and such, but we have some very valid concerns about how students take food out [of the dining halls] and how it is thrown away."

Contact Margaret Hynds at  mhynds@nd.edu