Irish soccer through the years

Check out a timeline of Irish soccer, from its first varsity season to winning its first national championship.

Click on the photo to the right to enlarge it.

Sept. 16, 1977 - Tied Dayton 3-3 in first game as a varsity team.

Nov. 13, 1988 - Made first NCAA tournament appearance, losing 2-0 to Southern Methodist.

Nov. 24, 1996 - Won first NCAA tournament game with a 1-0 victory over No. 3 UNC-Greensboro.

Jan. 19, 2001 - Hired Bobby Clark as head coach.

Nov. 26, 2003 - Appeared in its first NCAA tournament game as a seeded team. The No. 5 Irish beat Wisconsin-Milwaukee 4-1.

Dec. 14, 2004 - Goalkeeper Chris Sawyer became Notre Dame's first NSCAA first-team All-American. The Irish have had six since, including senior forward Harry Shipp.

Nov. 18, 2006 - Advanced to the NCAA quarterfinals for the first time with a 1-0 win over No. 5 Maryland. The Irish lost to No. 4 Virginia in the next round, 3-2.

Dec. 2, 2006 - Forward Joseph Lapira won the MAC Hermann Trophy, the most prestigious award in college soccer. He remains the only Irish player to win the award.

Dec. 8, 2007 - Lost to Wake Forest 1-0 in the NCAA quarterfinals. Prior to this season, it was the last time Notre Dame had advanced that far.

Nov. 12, 2012 - Earned the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA tournament for the first time in program history. Notre Dame beat Michigan State 3-0 in the round of 32.

Sept. 8, 2013 - Tied No. 1 North Carolina 1-1 in its first ACC game ever. The Irish moved to the ACC from the Big East after winning three conference tournament championships in the Big East.

Oct. 8, 2013 - Tied No. 5 Maryland, 1-1, at Alumni Stadium. The meeting was the only one between the teams this year prior to Sunday's title game.

Oct. 26, 2013 - Lost to No. 19 Virginia, 2-0, at Alumni Stadium. The loss was Notre Dame's only defeat of the season.

Nov. 8, 2013 - Defeated Pittsburgh 2-0 in the final game of the regular season. The Irish shared the regular-season ACC championship with Maryland.

Nov. 15, 2013 - Knocked out of the ACC tournament by Virginia in penalty kicks after a 3-3 draw in regulation.

Dec. 7, 2013 - Beat Michigan State in the NCAA quarterfinals 2-1 to advance to the program's first College Cup.

Dec. 13, 2013 - Advanced to the national championship game with a 2-0 win over New Mexico. Sophomore midfielder Patrick Hodan scored two goals in the victory.

Dec. 15, 2013 - Claimed the first national championship in school history with a 2-1 win over Maryland. Seniors Leon Brown and Andrew O'Malley scored to lift the Irish to the title.