SMC introduces body sculpt yoga to campus fitness

A year ago, junior Grace Harvey started teaching Yoga Sculpt to her friends in Angela Athletic Facility. Interest in her class grew, leading her to form a club, currently the largest on campus.

“I just started teaching in the gym,” Harvey said. “People started coming and I just made it an official club. This is the second semester of it.”

The club just celebrated its first birthday and is going strong, Harvey said.

“We have five classes a week, 100 members. It’s the biggest club on campus,” Harvey said. “I guess kind of [by] word of mouth, people hear about it and like it.”

Harvey said she took Yoga Sculpt throughout high school and wanted to continue at Saint Mary’s.

“At home, everyone at our high school would always go to these yoga classes together, and it’s just what people did,” she said.

Harvey said it would be easier for club members to attend classes this semester.

“This semester will be better because of the times in the gym,” she said. “They won’t be so late, so hopefully more people will be able to come, have more flexibility in their schedule.”

The club is open to anyone and professors are even encouraged to join, Harvey said.

“One-hundred people is a lot of people already … there is no limit, but at the same time we don’t want to have over 100 people coming every class,” she said. “But the more the merrier.”

Yoga Sculpt is not like a normal Yoga class and adds cardio with weights, Harvey said.

Classes are currently Monday at noon, Tuesday at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday at 6 p.m. and Friday at noon. Harvey said they hope to soon create a Thursday class at Notre Dame.

“We are still working on getting a class over at Notre Dame, we had one over there last semester but so far they are all at Saint Mary’s.”

It only costs $20 a semester to join the club, Harvey said.

“That’s for unlimited yoga, five classes a week, maybe 50 cents a class,” she said. “We don’t get paid, we do it because we love it.”

Harvey said she now teaches alongside her sister, first-year Christine Harvey and senior Jean Miller.

“I think it’s fun because we have three teachers,” Christine Harvey said. “Each of us has their own style of classes so people can go to which class they want to go to. Every class is a little different so it keeps it interesting.

“It’s definitely a fun workout. You can go with your friends. It’s definitely a stress reliever. Take a study break.”

If interested in learning more about the club or available classes, email yogaclub@saintmarys.edu

Contact Annemarie Loessberg at aloess01@saintmarys.edu