Irish sweep ACC foes

After an emotional senior night against Virginia Tech on Friday that stretched their current win streak to five matches, the Irish continued their winning ways with a victory on the road against North Carolina State on Sunday. The Irish (14-8, 7-6 ACC) knocked off the Wolfpack (7-12) by a score of 6-1.

The Irish looked strong from the start of the match, with the doubles team of sophomore Quinn Gleason and senior Britney Sanders defeating Wolfpack senior Joelle Kissell and junior Sophie Nelson, 8-4. The Irish also received a victory in the second doubles spot from seniors Julie Sabacinski and Jennifer Kellner, who defeated Wolfpack freshman Liza Fieldsend and sophomore Rachael James-Baker 8-5.

The Irish received winning performances from their singles players as well. Freshman Mary Closs quickly defeated Wolfpack senior Christy Sipes by a count of 6-1, 6-1, while sophomore Julia Vrabel toppled Nelson in singles play, 6-1, 6-3, to give the Irish an early 3-0 lead.

The Wolfpack were never able to recover from the early losses, and though they would manage to gain a victory on the efforts of James-Baker, who defeated Gleason in singles play by a score of 7-5, 6-4, the Irish secured victories in all other singles flights. Irish freshman Monica Robinson defeated North Carolina State junior Elisha Hande by a score of 6-4, 6-4. Sanders was triumphant in singles play as well, defeating Kissell, 6-4, 7-5, at the number one singles spot, while Kellner defeated Wolfpack junior Nicole Martinez, 7-6(5), at the three spot. The victory for the Irish is their sixth in a row, with their last loss coming against North Carolina on March 23.

The Irish resume play Saturday against Syracuse. The match is set to begin at 12 p.m.