Students build, race, sink boats in Fisher Regatta

Barbeque smoke, dance music and shouts from capsizing vessels filled the skies around St. Mary’s Lake for Fisher Hall’s annual Fisher Regatta on Saturday.

Fisher Hall’s president Erik Siegler said the Hall’s signature event not only provides the campus with a viewing spectacle and complimentary burgers but also helps to fund charity.

“The food is free, but there is an entry cost of $40 per boat. The money raised during this event goes to the Andre House of Hospitality in Phoenix,” Siegler said.

Junior Phillip Gayoso, who served as a commissioner for the Regatta, said some 30 makeshift boats, rafts and not quite sea-worthy vessels participated in the 1-on-1 races, broken up into a men’s and a women’s bracket.

The Pangborn team, consisting of Ellen Mather, Katie Brinkman, Anna Busse, Brooke Justus, Tiffani McCormick and Mariel Cuellar, rowed to victory in the women’s bracket. Cuellar said the final race ended in a comeback win.

“Both our first and second races went really well but the start of the final race was a little rough. We were definitely worried but we really came together as a team so it was a great feeling when we made a big comeback to win,” Cuellar said.

As far as strategy, Cuellar said the Hall’s bright green canoe, named “Fisher? I Barely Know Her!” has a history of winning.

“Our boat is a Pangborn family boat that was built a few years ago and has been passed down. It has won in the past so we were really proud that we could carry on the tradition.”

Knott Hall’s “Knacht Yott” took first place in the men’s bracket.  Zac Adams, Andrew Weiler, Michael McLean, Michael Hull, Hugo Muñoz Rios and Dan Falkenberg manned the winning vessel.

“We’re glad to have won the race this year, since this boat has won several times in past years, most recently in 2012,” Adams said.

A team of engineering students entered a LEGO themed concrete canoe into the race. Sophomore Mike Matasci said the canoe had no trouble floating despite its weight.

“Getting the canoe in and out of the water was tough, but it moved through the water really well. We put in a solid effort but came up short in our second race,” Matasci said.

Michael Lindt, one of Fisher Hall’s three vice presidents, said the signature event turned out well.

“Overall, the Regatta was once again a major success,” Lindt said. “The weather seemed to cooperate with us for the most part. It was a little chilly, but definitely warm enough for most people to bring out the bro tanks. 

“The turnout was also pretty great. We had a lot of people around for the duration of the event.”