Notre Dame Symphony Orchestra plans Halloween Concert

Since its inception, the Notre Dame Symphony Orchestra (NDSO) has attracted students and faculty alike to perform.

Devoted to music from the 18th to 20th centuries, the orchestra is an opportunity for any interested member of the University community to participate — regardless of major or occupation.

Senior Michael Prough, a biochemistry major who plays the french horn, said NDSO is an accessible forum to display musical talents.

“I joined the orchestra my freshman year because I had always wanted to play in an orchestra but didn't have the opportunity in high school,” he said.

Sophmore political science major and clarinetist John McCready also said NDSO provided opportunities his high school hadn't.

“My high school didn’t have a lot of music programs, so I sort of looked to the youth orchestra programs in my area, and I really enjoyed that, so I really wanted to continue with that in college,” McCready.

Prough said the group not only provides a community for its members, but also provides them with fantastic experiences.

“Being a part of the NDSO has been quite rewarding for me, and I’m looking forward to my last few performances with the group throughout this year,” Prough said.

This Friday at 8 p.m., NDSO will take the stage at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (DPAC) to perform the first of three shows this school year. The Halloween performance will feature works by Stravinsky and Beethoven, among others.

“It’s a really cool, spooky-themed show," McCready said. "... We’re doing the last movement of a five-movement piece about a witch. We’ve been preparing for this all year, thus far.”

The group performs three concerts a year in DPAC and takes biennial tours off-campus.

“We go [off campus] every other year, so we didn’t last year," McCready said. "So this year, the plan is in January to start in Houston, Texas and work our way back up to campus ... going to St. Louis and some other cities."

The tours have taken the orchestra all over the country in the past several years.

“We’re going to some places I’ve never been to, so I’m really looking forward to it,” McCready said.

Beyond their three standard shows and their tour, the orchestra works with vocal groups on campus.

“In late November, I think we’ll be collaborating with more than one of the vocal ensembles ... to do sort of a mass type thing, which should be cool,” McCready said.