SMC Dance Marathon races for the kids

Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon hosted the organization's annual "For the Kids" 5k (FT5K), Wednesday evening in order to raise money for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. The neon-themed run/walk FT5K began at the College's Welcome Center parking lot and ended with a party on the island in front of Haggar Parlor.

Dance Marathon is a student run organization hosted by hundreds of colleges throughout the nation that raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN). President of Saint Mary's Dance Marathon and senior Kristen Millar said all the money from the group's fundraising events throughout the school year will go to Riley Hospital for Children.

“CMN is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to providing medical treatment for critically or chronically ill children, free of cost,” Millar said. “CMN gives Riley Hospital for Children the opportunity to provide medical treatment to all children, regardless of a family’s ability to pay.”

After the 5k, the party on the island had food, water, music, glow sticks, a raffle and shirts priced at $2 for participants to buy.

“Each year we have done a 5k on campus to try to incorporate community involvement with our events,” Millar said. “The FT5K is also a great way to spread awareness on campus and embodies the marathon's mission of staying on one's feet for those who can't.”

At the end of the 5k, Dance Marathon announced that the 2015 Dance Marathon theme will be superheroes.

Co-fundraising chair, Maranda Pennington, helped organize the 5k, and said she is excited for the superhero-themed marathon. She said, her goal is to make 2015 the best year for the club and encourage more students to attend the fundraising events.

“It is something that I have become extremely passionate about after hearing personal testimonies from Riley families that our funds have helped and I can't imagine dedicating my free time to anything else," Pennington said.

Dance Marathon will be hosting numerous events for students to get involved and help a great cause. Millar said she wants to encourage more students to participate as Dancers during the marathon and to attend the other fundraising events.

“Throughout the year, we will host give back nights at local restaurants, such as Five Guys and Let's Spoon,” Millar said. “We also normally host a salon rouge night and last year, we hosted a Riley trivia night on campus. In February, we will have a week dedicated to Riley with various events such as Zumba, crafts and dinner with some of the Riley families.

“Students should participate and attend Dance Marathon in the spring because it is truly an amazing and inspiring event that benefits a wonderful hospital, and without marathons such as the one at Saint Mary's, Riley Hospital for Children would not be able to provide care for all children regardless of their financial situation," she said.

In honor of it being Dance Marathon’s 10th year as a recognized club on campus, Millar said the goal for the year is to raise $90,000 for the children of Riley Hospital.

“It is [also] our goal to collaborate with different clubs and organizations on campus, but ultimately, our goal is to raise awareness and to tell the stories of families who have benefitted from the amazing care Riley provides … It is truly amazing to hear the stories of Riley patients lives [we have] been able to touch,” Millar said.