GRC hosts Ally Week

ally_week
This week, the Gender Relations Center (GRC), along with co-sponsors Campus Ministry, Multicultural Student Programs and Services and PrismND, is sponsoring Ally Week.

Maureen McKenney, the GRC's assistant director for LGBTQ student concerns, said Ally Week is a weeklong series of events that aim to focus on members of the Notre Dame community and create a campus that is welcoming to all, regardless of difference.

“Within the Notre Dame community, allies help create a safe and inclusive campus community where all may flourish and feel welcome,” McKenney said. “[It is] one in which the human dignity of each person is valued through people being knowledgeable of resources, supportive of all students, and a willingness to dialogue across difference.”

Ally Week kicked off Monday with Frank Warren from Post Secret speaking at Jordan Hall of Science. Other scheduled events during the week include Ally Training, a service project, an Ally Dinner and a T-shirt giveaway.

“I am really looking forward to the 'What Does It Mean to Be an Ally' dinner and presentation,” McKenney said. “It is a chance for members of our own community to share with others some personal reflection on what life as an ally looks like, and why allies play an important part in creating a safe, welcome and inclusive campus community for all of our students.”

McKenney said the idea of Ally Week has been culminating for over a year, and the logistics for this week’s events were finalized at the beginning of this semester.

“As a Catholic community, all of us are called to be friends and allies of one another and to be intentional about how we work to create a campus that feels like home for all of our students,” McKenney said. “Not to mention, we have set up a fun, exciting, educational and inspiring week of events lined up, so hopefully students will enjoy themselves while learning a little along the way.”

McKenney said that she hopes that students will attend some if not all of the events and leave with a better understanding of how to help others and become more welcoming to others. She said she hopes these students use their newfound understanding and apply it specifically to Notre Dame’s community to create a more inclusive environment.

“Helping to create a campus that values the human dignity and inclusion of all people is something that we hope everyone within the Notre Dame community can support and take part in,” McKenney said.

For more information about events and times, visit the grc.nd.edu/events