Saint Mary's presents annual Dance Arts performance

Saint Mary’s Department of Communication Studies, Dance and Theatre will perform their annual Dance Arts recital this Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The Dance Arts 2015 recital has been put on annually for more than 30 years. This year’s Dance Arts is inspired by everyday life and American culture. It features various genres of dance that are combined to communicate several different views of American society.

Saint Mary's dance instructor Michele Kriner, senior lecturer Laurie Lowry and guest artist Kristina Isabelle all contributed in choreographing the seven dance pieces for the show.

All performers are part of the Saint Mary’s dance minor program, which gives students the opportunity to work on serious dance works in order to learn as aspiring artists. Lowry said this performance is a chance for students to share their artistic talent with the community.

“Not only can the students be a part of it, they can contribute to it,” Lowry said. “It’s good for young people to get exposed to art in many forms.”

Lowry said this is not only a performance that would benefit students, but faculty and those who do not attend the College as well.

“When you’re out of college and you’re in the community, you don’t necessarily have good access to art,” said Lowry. “Saint Mary’s is great because it allows easy access to art through shows like this.”

Lowry said the show is a significant part of the dance program for the performers at Saint Mary’s and she hopes it will be a useful experience for them moving forward.

“You have to commit, show up and contribute, all of which prepare them for other aspects of life as well,” said Lowry. “I like to see young dancers be challenged in different ways and to see them grow.”

There are many other opportunities for dancers to get involved at Saint Mary’s. Students can take classes to enhance their skills or they can audition to be a part of other productions similar to Dance Arts. The annual showcase is another opportunity for student dancers who are not part of a class to grow and develop as artists.

Dance Arts will be presented Thursday through Saturday in O’Laughlin Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. There will also be a matinee Saturday at 2:30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for students, $10 for faculty and $13 for non-students and can be purchased at the box office in O’Laughlin Auditorium.