Irish prepare for two-day Nebraska tournament

The Irish look to continue their recent run of success this week at the Chip-N Club Invitational, hosted by Nebraska at the Country Club of Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska. The field will play 36 holes Monday and an 18-hole round Tuesday.

Notre Dame is coming off two consecutive top-five finishes at the Mary Fossum Invitational in Lansing, Michigan, and the Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Oklahoma. Strong performances from senior captain Talia Campbell and freshman Emma Albrecht led the Irish to success in both competitions.

The field at the Chip-N Club Invitational includes Nebraska and Kansas. Kansas finished one stroke ahead of the Irish at the Schooner Fall Classic two weeks ago, finishing in fourth place overall. Jayhawks sophomore Yupaporn Kawinpakorn finished in first place individually at the Schooner Fall Classic, posting an 11-under-par score of 131 for the weekend.

Going up against Kawinpakorn, Campbell leads the Irish with an average of 71.80 strokes per round so far this season. Albrecht has also risen to the top of the Irish lineup with strong play the past few tournaments. She finished tied for ninth place at the Mary Fossum Invitational and was the highest finisher for the Irish at the Schooner Fall Classic, coming in 12th place. Her stroke average is just one shot behind Campbell at 72.80 and is the third-lowest average on the team.

“I feel confident with my game,” Albrecht said. “I don’t see why I can’t win it individually, and that’s what I’ll have in mind this weekend.”

Defending tournament champion Ohio State is not in the field this year, offering the Irish a chance to contend for the title. Tournament host Nebraska has won six of the last 12 tournaments, with its last victory coming in 2013. 

The Irish enter the Chip-N Club Invitational as the highest ranked team in the field at No. 46, according to Golfweek, followed by Kansas (No. 81) and Summit League opponent South Dakota State (No. 112). Albrecht said if everyone does their job, the Irish can be successful at the Chip-N Club Invitational and possibly win.

“If we just play our own game and stick with our individual goals, I think we will be happy with the outcome at the end of the weekend,” Albrecht said.

The Irish begin the Chip-N Club Invitational on Monday at the Country Club of Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska. Shotgun start is scheduled for 10 a.m.