Notre Dame readies for dual meet

Notre Dame is set to host Michigan State in a dual meet Friday night at Rolfs Aquatic Center in the first dual meet of the season for the Irish.

“This is our first dual meet so it will be a new challenge,” Irish head coach Matt Tallman said.  “We have put in a lot of work since the Dennis Stark Relays. There was a lot of good during that competition, but we are anxious to see how we have improved over the last three weeks.” The Irish scored 200 points to finish in first place at the 51st Dennis Stark Relays on Oct. 9. In the 200-meter freestyle relay, the team of sophomore Justin Plaschka, freshman Daniel Speers, freshman Tabahn Afrik and junior Kevin Bradley took home first place in 1:21.98, while in the 400-meter freestyle relay, the all-senior team of Bogac Ayhan, Andrew Jensen, Shane McKenzie and Michael Hudspith finished second with a time of 3:25.90. Also in the 400 free relay, the team of freshman Connor Brown, freshman Jack Russell, freshman Matthew Grauslys and sophomore Harlin Bessire finished third in 3:29.11. In the 1-meter diving competition, the dive team of sophomore Peter Myers and Zane Parker finished second with a score of 509.70, while in the 3-meter diving competition, they combined for a score of 239.15. For the Dennis Stark Relays, the Irish competed against Olivet Nazarene, Wright State, IUPUI and Oakland. Tallman says he knows Michigan State will be a different type of opponent. “Michigan State has given us fits in the past,” Tallman said.  “As an opponent from the Big Ten, I expect them to come to Rolfs on Friday and give us a good meet.” Tallman said his team has been preparing diligently over the past three weeks to perform at their best against the Spartans. “We have been doing a great job on a daily basis to do well during the season while keeping the focus on being at our best when the season end and it matters the most.” Tallman said he expects the same type of performance out of every swimmer and diver on his team. “We are not expecting anything from any teammates in particular more than another,” Tallman said. “Each guy on the team has their own individual goals and we will be evaluating each swim differently. “We are looking to improve in every event all of the time. It is easier said than done, but we have a talented group that still has some learning to do and some little things to fix.”