Notre Dame struggles with conference foes

Notre Dame participated in a two-day meet this past weekend in Christiansburg, Virginia, hosted by Virginia Tech, where it lost to both the Hokies, 208-162, and Pittsburgh, 188-182.

While the Irish did not find success in the pool at the end of Friday and Saturday’s competition, they did find success on the platform, taking the first two spots in the 3-meter diving competition.

Seniors Lindsey Streepey and Emma Gaboury finished first and second with scores of 316.70 and 301.75, while sophomore Annie Crea took fourth place with a 284.55 score.

The 1-meter diving competition was less kind to Notre Dame, however, as Gaboury and Streepy only managed third- and fourth-place finishes for the Irish.

Notre Dame was able to grab just one win in the pool, as freshman Alice Treuth took first place in the 200-yard backstroke, taking top honors in 1:58.79.

The Irish relay teams were stymied over the two days by Virginia Tech, finishing second to the Hokies in four of the five relay events. Junior Catherine Mulquin, senior Catherine Galletti, freshman Tayde Revilak and freshman Ella Moynihan finished just three hundredths off the win in the 200-yard freestyle relay, while the 200-yard medley relay squad — featuring Mulquin, junior Danielle Margheret, Galletti and Revilak — finished less than a second behind Virginia Tech’s first-place squad.

The trend continued in the 800-yard freestyle relay, where Notre Dame’s 7:32.51 time wasn’t quick enough to take first, finishing four seconds off the pace, and wrapped up in the 400-yard freestyle relay, where the Irish finished 1.18 seconds behind first — though this time the Panthers’ squad took the win.

The relay squads weren’t the only ones to see themselves finish second in events Friday and Saturday, as the Irish got a quartet of second-place individual finishes: Revilak placed second in the 100-yard butterfly, Mulquin did the same in the 100-yard freestyle, while Galletti (50-yard freestyle) and Moynihan (200-yard freestyle) garnered runner-up finishes as well.

After competitions on three consecutive weekends, Notre Dame will have next weekend off.

The Irish are set to return to action Nov. 20 at the Boilermaker Invitational, a three-day event that will be held at Purdue in West Lafayette, Indiana.