Irish look to send seniors off with final home victory

Less than a month away from the ACC championships, Notre Dame will host its final home meet of the season this weekend with the Shamrock Invitational. The Irish host Iowa, Illinois State, Missouri State and Grand Canyon over the two-day meet.

Not only will Rolfs Aquatic Center be packed with the four teams journeying to South Bend, but Irish families and friends will be on hand as well to honor the seniors in what will be the final home meet of their careers.

“I believe it is a very special time for our senior divers and swimmers,” Irish head coach Mike Litzinger said. “They have made a four-year journey as a student athlete at the University of Notre Dame, which is not an easy task. They have seen many changes in the program, and have persevered for their team, their families and for Notre Dame. It is a wonderful tradition that we have in honoring these young men and women.

“Having their family and friends on hand makes it that much more special.”

For the five seniors on the men’s team and the six on the women’s squad, an Irish victory at the Invitational would make Senior Day all the more special, Litzinger said.

Our goals are to win the meet, practice our individual race plans, and honor our seniors in their last home meet,” Litzinger said.

For the Irish as a team, this is more than a meet to honor the seniors. It is also a time to continue to prepare for the ACC championships, as this is the final meet before the finals in mid-February.

I think it is extremely important that we get some racing in for the last time,” Litzinger said. “It is a quick check for our athletes in their primary events, and they have an opportunity to race in their secondary ones as well. The format is unique and puts us in a championship mindset.”

At last year’s Shamrock Invitational, the Irish women’s team was victorious while the men’s team came in a close second to Iowa.

Competition will kick off at Rolfs Aquatic Center at 5 p.m. on Friday and continue on Saturday.