Freezin' for a reason

Have you been withdrawn from UV rays and are tired of dressing up in bulky, unsightly winter clothes? The men of Siegfried are, and they cannot wait to shed their clothes even if it’s cold outside. On Wednesday, the Ramblers anticipate a major vitamin D increase as they will be dressed scantily clad once again for the most important fundraiser found on campus for the South Bend Center for the Homeless. For the 11th consecutive year, the burly lads of Siegfried Hall will brave the February wintery cold to stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters in the South Bend community who do not have the privilege to own a home. Dressing in shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops, speedos and even less, the men of Siegfried will be spreading their mission throughout campus in classrooms, sidewalks and dining halls in order to elicit donations for the Center for the Homeless. All joking aside, homelessness impacts hundreds of thousands of people across the United States every year. It disproportionately affects our nation’s veterans and causes irreparable damage to the bright futures of many children. During these cold winter months, homelessness not only puts those who suffer from it at an economic risk, but also a physical one. Over the last 11 years, we’ve been freezin’ for a reason: to raise money to support and aid the homeless in our South Bend community. We cannot do this without your help. We are calling upon you, Notre Dame, to recognize that we are extremely fortunate, and because of that, our community needs to assist those who do not have the dorms or meal plans that we hold. Sacrifice a few Main Circle cab fares or a few Ubers to Finni’s so that we — as a community — can fight for those who sacrifice every day just to make ends meet. If you are strapped for cash Wednesday, Day of Man has an online donation site where you, friends and family can all donate to this worthy fundraiser. Look for the link shared on the Day of Man Facebook event page and please share it. The Ramblers are taking one day to stand with our brothers and sisters in the cold in order to bring this opportunity of service to you. Please sacrifice a few dollars to contribute to the mission. Be cold. Be bold. Be a man.

Isaac Althoff junior

Michael Hernick junior

Patrick Davis sophomore Feb. 3