Saint Mary's Dance Marathon continues to fundraise as event approaches

Dance Marathon — the culmination of Saint Mary’s year-long fundraising effort for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis — consists of more than 12 hours of standing, but even the planning phases keep the organization’s members on their feet.

This year’s Marathon will take place on April 7, and with the date rapidly approaching, the club is still working to reach its goals, club president and senior Meg Brownley said in an email.

“This year’s goal is to surpass last year's total, which was around $133,000,” Brownley said. “We are doing well, but we are always looking for more people to get involved and fundraise for this incredible cause.”

Dance Marathon will continue to raise money through different campus events and fundraising push days leading up to the event in April, Brownley said. She said the Marathon will take place in the Pfeil Center at Holy Cross College.

First-year Alison Schibi is a member of the Dance Marathon catering committee, which plans food-related fundraisers known as Give Back nights.

“I am involved with the catering committee this year, as we take care of Give Back days at local restaurants, the food provided at many of our events and, of course, for the day of the actual marathon,” Schibi said in an email. “Our committee has been working hard getting Give Back days and preparing for the big Marathon day.”

“This year is really exciting because we are in the process of making Dance Marathon a tri-campus club with the help of some amazing and dedicated Notre Dame and Holy Cross students who have stepped up,” Brownley said.

Brownley said the club plans to have areas to sign up for the Marathon at all three campuses to further encourage the involvement of students from all schools. Though the event is called Dance Marathon, skilled dancers are not the only people who can attend the event, Brownley said.

“There is so much going on throughout the day and so many inspiring kids [that] you will forget what time it is,” she said. “Bad dancing still saves lives. The day of Dance Marathon is magical because it is a gym filled with passionate and driven college students coming together to change the lives of kids who deserve a happy childhood. It is so inspiring to meet the kids you are impacting and know that your work matters to these brave fighters.”

It is these kids, Schibi said, who led her to consistently participate in the club.

“I participate in Dance Marathon for the kids,” she said. “Supporting the Riley families brings joy, and each patient deserves the chance to be a kid. Dance Marathon gives hope.”

Brownley said the event has given her the opportunity to create lasting memories.

“My favorite part of Dance Marathon is meeting the incredible people who are passionate about this movement like I am,” she said. “I have made the best friends and the best memories with Dance Marathon, and that is something I am so grateful for.”