Student treated for tuberculosis-like symptoms

An email signed by University Health Services (UHS) director Sharon McMullen announced Wednesday to the Notre Dame student body that a “graduate student/professional school student” was recently treated for “symptoms associated with tuberculosis (TB).”

“The student has been tested at a local hospital and the results are pending,” the email said.

Due to privacy concerns, the UHS is not releasing the student’s name or “identifying information” at this time.

“Due to the public health implications of this disease and out of an abundance of caution, UHS staff members are working closely with the St. Joseph County Health Department to identify others who may have come in contact with this individual,” the email said.

According to the email, individuals who are determined to have been “close contacts” with the patient will be able to take a TB test in the coming days. Students will be able to take the test at UHS in St. Liam Hall; faculty and staff will be able to take the test at the University Wellness Center.

The email explained that individuals can contract TB from “prolonged, direct contact” with the “respiratory droplets” of a person suffering from the “active” TB. Although TB has the potential to be serious, it can be treated and is unlikely to be life threatening so long as patients receive appropriate medical care.

“The health and safety of our students, faculty, staff and visitors is of paramount importance, and our prayers are with the individual who is experiencing symptoms of the disease. We appreciate the guidance provided by the staff of the St. Joseph County Health Department and will continue to work closely with them,” the email said.