Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Saint Mary’s to host Meet Me at the Avenue Sunday

Saint Mary’s will be hosting its annual Meet Me at the Avenue event for students admitted to the Class of 2022 students Sunday.

Campus visit coordinator Bekah Stanton said in an email that the event aims to experience Saint Mary’s as a potential student.

“It’s intended to give accepted students an opportunity to meet other members of their class, learn more about the College and discover if Saint Mary’s is the place they’re going to call home,” she said.

Stanton said they are expecting about 250 students, and 650 guests including family members.

The event opens with several talks, for both students and parents together and separate, Stanton said.

“The day will begin with remarks by various individuals, including Saint Mary’s College President, Jan Cervelli,” Stanton said. “Following that, the students will branch off to a segment in the residence halls while the parents will remain in the auditorium and hear from current students and their parents on a panel. The entire group will also have the opportunity to hear from a recent alumna about her experience at Saint Mary’s.”

Attendees will then have the opportunity to explore campus, she said.

“Prospective students and their families will then experience lunch in the dining hall, participate in campus tours and take part in an open house,” Stanton said. “Faculty from each department and club leaders are some of the individuals who will be present during this time. Following this, we offer students and their families the option to go to Mass in the Church of Loretto.”

There will also be new events added to the schedule, including showcasing the renovated Angela Athletic & Wellness Complex, she said.

“The open house location has changed to the new Angela Athletic & Wellness Complex this year,” Stanton said. “This will allow us to showcase our amazing new space. Because Angela [Athletic & Wellness Complex] is also being dedicated this weekend, we’ve invited students to participate in various activities within the dedication celebration, including workout classes and panel discussions.”

She also said admissions is introducing a session for Spanish-speaking families, aimed to help ease their transition into college.

“New this year, we will also be hosting a College 101 for ‘Spanish Speaking Families,’” Stanton said. “This will involve a question and answer session with representatives from the office of admission, financial aid and multicultural services, all of whom speak Spanish fluently. It will also include a current parent and current students who will provide examples of what helped them through their first-year transition.”

Stanton said Meet Me at the Avenue allows prospective students to get any last-minute questions they may have answered.

“Whether their questions pertain to a specific major, about college requirements, or about life on campus, there will be individuals present to answer all,” she said.

Stanton said she believes this event is an important opportunity for prospective students to visit the campus.

“This is a great way for students to get on campus, meet their potential classmates and discover if they picture themselves at Saint Mary’s,” she said. “We also have a beautiful campus, and I think it’s important for students to visit and see this beauty firsthand. Prospective students are also able to interact with many of our current students during the event, giving them a good indication of the types of great women we have here.”