SCIA's response to Viewpoint article

As members and supporters of the Student Coalition for Immigration Advocacy (SCIA), we are committed to fostering awareness and education on the subject of immigration. Thus, we felt the need to respond to the claims that were made. The purpose of this essay is not to try to change Mr. Murphy’s opinion on immigration — we know that attempting to do so would be naive and futile. Rather, our response is meant to add much needed context surrounding the issues that the article mentioned and clarify the manipulated statistics, of which there are many. Such abhorrent claims and repeated use of “illegal alien” are often used as a hate-mongering and ad hominem attacks against undocumented immigrants in order to deprive them of their humanity. SCIA simply could not let these careless arguments remain unaddressed. As a senior at a prestigious university, we would hope that Mr. Murphy knows better than to cherry-pick data in order to try and defend his arguments. Moreover, it is incredibly disappointing that such a hostile and sloppy article was written by the leader of a student group on campus that was created to be an inclusive space for a marginalized group — on the first week of school, nonetheless. We understand the importance of free speech and that The Observer has the discretion to publish articles as they see fit. Sadly, this reactionary and spiteful article greeted undocumented and DACAmented Notre Dame, St. Mary’s and Holy Cross students — some of whom are part of the LGBTQIA+ community — as they returned to campus to start the academic year or were welcomed to our campus for the first time. Military From 2014 to 2015, under a program called Military Accessions Vital to National Interest (MAVNI), DACA recipients could earn a path to citizenship by enlisting in the military and completing basic training (many who enlisted never received citizenship or any legal status). This program was started under President George W. Bush in order to recruit immigrants with foreign language and medical skills, and was later opened up to include DACA recipients by President Obama. However, the program itself was shut down, effectively halting recruiting efforts, and those who had already enlisted had to go under increased vetting that left them waiting to finish the process indefinitely. Though DACA recipients were not explicitly targeted by this action, they were left with little recourse because they cannot enlist in the military in another way due to their lack of legal status. Thus, their numbers in the military will naturally be low. When people talk about how DACA recipients are in the military, they are not saying there is an overwhelming presence. Instead, it is simply saying that many wish to enlist, but they simply cannot. Ironically, however, like their U.S. citizen and permanent legal resident peers, young men with DACA who are between the ages of 18 and 26 must register for the selective service. Failing to do so would endanger any chance they might potentially have regarding citizenship. Education With respect to education, Mr. Murphy again makes several unfounded claims. Yes, it is true that as of November 2017 only 5 percent of DACA recipients had a college degree, which is lower than the national U.S. average. However, Mr. Murphy fails to take several critical factors into consideration as to why that number is so low. Firstly, in the statistic he used, he failed to cite that the number of DACA recipients that are currently enrolled in colleges is similar to U.S. adults  — 18 and 20 percents, respectively. Mr. Murphy believes that, “it would be appropriate if the “Fake News” media stopped acting like their deportation is getting in the way of them finally earning that Ph.D. (or a high school diploma for that matter).” Aside from being a malicious and snide comment, it completely disregards the amount of hurdles that undocumented students face when completing an education even with the benefit of deferred status. Before the creation of DACA, it was almost impossible for undocumented immigrants to obtain a college degree since they could not apply, and continue to be ineligible for federal financial aid to this day. In many states, they do not qualify for state financial aid, furthermore, at many public universities and colleges, they do not qualify for in-state tuition (even if they have lived in that state for most of their lives) and must pay exorbitant tuition because of out-of-state and international rates — all with few viable options for scholarships because of citizenship or residency requirements. At the graduate level, Masters and PhD programs have work requirements; for those without work authorization, like DREAMers before DACA, those requirements are impediments to continuing their higher education. Some institutions will simply not accept DREAMer applicants based on their immigration status — Notre Dame itself did not start accepting undocumented or DACAmented students until 2013 (class of 2018). Pretending that deportation and lack of legal status does not hinder DREAMers’ access to education is a dangerously deceptive statement. Lastly, Mr. Murphy presents information on high school dropout rates among DACA recipients that overlook the educational eligibility requirements for DACA listed on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website, which require that applicants be currently enrolled in school; have a high school diploma; an equivalent to the latter, such as a GED certificate; or be in the military. So, while not every DACA recipient is a valedictorian, high school dropouts, unless they return to school, do not qualify for DACA. CrimeIt is a well-established fact that immigrants commit less crimes than American citizens, regardless of immigration status. Mr. Murphy circumventive use of statistics and claims by John Lott may have you convinced otherwise. Using Arizona’s incarceration rates as his evidence made our job much easier when you consider Arizona’s terrible record with criminal justice and racial profiling. Even the CATO Institute found Lott’s data to be flawed (forgive our use of linking to an article that also repeatedly uses “illegal alien”) because Lott’s methodology combines undocumented immigrants with legal immigrants who have been deported — as well as U.S. citizens who have been mistakenly deported. Furthermore, USCIS sets strict guidelines as to what can disqualify someone from obtaining or renewing their DACA. Such disqualifications include a felony, major misdemeanor or three smaller misdemeanors. If we are defining a DREAMer as an undocumented immigrant who holds DACA, a person who commits all of the crimes that Mr. Murphy claims young undocumented people perpetrate, then they are no longer a DREAMer, as their DACA status would be revoked. It is also important that we understand that some of the “crimes” that DREAMers (and undocumented immigrants in general) might commit are things that for U.S. citizens would be shamed for, but not heavily reprimanded, especially if it was a first offense. Underage drinking and traffic violations (e.g. driving without a license, having a broken tail light, running a red light) are just some of the “crimes” that can disqualify someone from obtaining DACA. Are those examples irresponsible acts? Yes. But do they alone constitute what many would consider “criminal” when talking about an American citizen? We would hope not, otherwise America’s already exorbitant prison population (25 percent of the world’s we may remind you) would only exponentially rise. These guidelines as to what qualifies as a crime for DACA recipients can also explain why the number of incarcerated undocumented immigrants is so high. Economic Impact In terms of the economic impact, Mr. Murphy makes the argument that the presence of DREAMers is detrimental to the American economy. According to him, DREAMers are low-skilled workers who drive wages down. He effectively pits them against working-class Americans who are also vulnerable economically, but the manner in which he supports this claim is also circumventive. The notion that immigrants, undocumented or otherwise, decrease GDP has been dispelled time and time again by economists who have warned about the negative consequences of deporting DREAMers (here is another study by the CATO Institute that recognizes the possible adverse effects of deporting undocumented immigrants). Of course, if you take bodies out of the economy, the GDP per capita will rise, because much of the economic activity that would be lost due to mass deportations is not measured by GDP. Numbers have meaning. Furthermore, the positions that many undocumented immigrants hold are considered “unskilled.” Thus, even if undocumented immigrants did not seek these jobs, they would not necessarily be high-paying. Mr. Murphy, as concerned as he is about the vulnerable working class, should consider changing the conversation about what “unskilled” labor means rather than attacking undocumented immigrants. English Literacy Mr. Murphy’s source for his corresponding section on English literacy, the Center for Immigration Studies, has been identified as an anti-immigrant hate group. We’ll leave it at that. Conclusion While we understand that people have different opinions on this campus, what Mr. Murphy wrote, was harmful, reckless and cruel. Mr. Murphy begins his op-ed by ridiculing the idea that undocumented people contribute positively to our society and can include valedictorians, soldiers and successful business executives. He claims that few of those here without documents even have the intellectual capacity, moral character or patriotic loyalty to achieve these accomplishments. It is absurd, he claims, to think that DACA recipients would graduate with honors from elite schools like Notre Dame and foolish to think they merit becoming U.S. citizens. He defends these wild claims with inaccurate statistics. Ironically, he ends by stating that he wants a fair debate on the issue, one that is, “grounded in evidence and the truth, not false narratives and fanciful claims.” To the Notre Dame audience, let us remember that all undocumented immigrants, not just the DREAMers, are more than facts and statistics. They are, first and foremost, human beings who came to America seeking better opportunities and better life, much like Mr. Murphy’s presumably Irish ancestors. It is imperative that we recognize our individual ancestry and America’s bloodshed history when speaking of current undocumented immigrants, some of whom who are fleeing violence and persecution in their native countries. To undocumented students at Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s, and Holy Cross, SCIA stands with you. We hope that you find your home here and do not let negative arguments get you down. SCIA welcomes those of all backgrounds regardless of sex, race, gender, color, sexual orientation, national origin and immigration status. We hope that you find your home in SCIA. In Notre Dame,

Karla Burgos-Morón

SCIA president, senior

Libertad Heredia

senior

Aug. 27

Elizabeth Boyle junior Margaret FitzGerald senior Odalis Gonzalez sophomore Sarah Guinan class of 2018 Melissa Pech senior Maria Sierra Cáceres senior Aniela Tyksinski class of 2017 Iliana Contreras senior Kassandra Perez Amanda Varela class of 2015 Augusto Rocha Ramirez Department of History Tatiana Botero professor Steven Fisher class of 2016 Karen Gilmore class of 2016 Rudy Ramos class of 2020 Xitlaly Estrada class of 2017 Jessica Pedroza class of 17 Allison Hubbard senior Braden Kimmel junior Kathleen Ryan senior Valerie Alonzo class of 1996 Natasha Reifenberg class of 2018 Celine Castillo sophomore Rocio Monreal Avina sophomore Ana Rodelas class of 2016 Gargi Purohit senior Varishth Baluckram class of 2018 Rathin Kacham senior Liam Maher class of 2018 Jazmin Flete junior Vanessa Lozano senior Matthew Chamberlain senior Angela Konkey class of 1985 Teresa Menchaca Godinez class of 1992 Verónica Rosas Fernandez class of 1998 Emma Beaudoin SMC junior Hailey Fulwider senior Fatima Montez class of 2016 Elizabeth Jakubowski senior Cesar Estrada class of 2017 Phoebe Natale class of 2018 Andrés Walliser Wejebe sophomore Daniel Bland class of 2018 Jessica Gomez class of 2017 Manue Marroquin senior Jake Chang junior Isaías Guerrero class of 2016 Gregory Serapio-García senior Nicholas Furnari class of 2018 Grace Garvey senior Bianca Gaytan-Burrell class of 1998 Adam Ramos class of 2018 Emilia McManusb junior Javier Rivera-Gonzalez sophomore Nylce Prada Myers class of 1987 Amber Grimmer junior Jacqui Aguirre senior Teresa R. Brickey SMC senior DeJorie Monroe class of 2016 Jade Martinez senior Fritz Schemel Brynna Conway class of 2018 Daniela Cabada senior Arwa Mohammad senior Sarah Morris senior Jorge Garcia Lozano sophomore Jack Ryan junior Alexis Green senior Johannah Ward Cassidy Leyendecker class of 2017 Tyrel London senior Victoria Chandler SMC senior Savanna Morgan junior Mads Mikkelsen sophomore Eleanor Gamble sophomore Angela Rogers junior Jake Maginn class of 2018 Mark Gianfalla class of 2015 Teresa Kennedy class of 2016 Jenna Ahn class of 2014 Matt Hing class of 2015 Maddie McKenna class of 2018 Christina Del Greco senior Dania Abdul Rahman Meredith Soward senior Julio Salazar Alumnus class of 2018 Adolfo Mora sophomore Sean McFeely senior Jack Grogan senior Mayra Almeida-Trejo class of 2015 Megh Santella class of 2018 Alejandro Claure De La Zerda sophomore Emily Abramczyk senior Christian Abraham junior Caroline Sampson class of 2018 Naana Ocran junior Sara Kellenberg senior Joel Castro junior Nicholas Ottone junior Fernando Lozano class of 2014 Gabrielle Rogoff class of 2017 Jesús Mendoza Downey class of 2016 Brian Gatter junior Samuel Jackson junior Matthew Magiera Jess Pulido Sydney Porter junior Katie Hieatt junior Lionel M. Jensen Abby Ferguson senior Akua Agyei-Boateng Malia Marshall James Zwierzynski senior Keven Cheung senior Ann Moran junior Veronica Kalwajtys junior Kristen Kennelly class of 2017 Julianna Vidales class of 2018 Monica Ochoa class of 2018 Tess Ngochi sophomore Gabriella Marines-Chio Ashtin Ballard Franea Arceo junior Michelle Saucedo class of 2010 Amy Mansfield senior Dearbhla Fay class of 2017 Celeste Villa-Rangel class of 2016 Karen Graubart Associate Professor Lito Morona sophomore Candace Thomas class of 2017 Maria McKenna faculty Claudia Francis Flora Tang class of 2018 Brian Collier faculty Sarah McKibben Associate Professor Logan Bridge class of 2017 Rebecca Ward sophomore Chissa Rivaldi PhD student Valerie Sayers professor Caila Lindsey junior Emilt Garrett class of 2018 Susan Harris Professor Aaron Bode class of 2017 Noe Pliego graduate student Jairo Campuzano-Hoyos Mary Celeste Kearney Ellanor Patton sophomore Christine Venter Catherine Perl PhD Student Elizabeth Hascher class of 2018 Maura Monahan class of 2017 Mary Patano class of 2017 Ian Van Dyke Ph.D. Student Cecilia Serna class of 1983 Victoria Velasquez class of 2017 Abby Wolfe sophomore Annette Cai senior Alex Bakeis sophomore Jessica Shumake Assistant Professor Jung Hyun Lee senior Seok Hee (Jenny) Jang senior Katherine Baltes class of 2017 Cecilia Lucero class of 1984 Eve Kelly John Duffy Michael Detlefsen faculty Leonor Wangensteen class of 2003 Anne Marie Wolf class of 1989 Christine Becker Associate Professor Dani Green PhD Candidate Jennifer Hieatt class of 1996 Robert Myak class of 2017 Darlene Hampton Eric Love César Moreno senior Coleman Blakely senior Mauna Dasari PhD candidate Elyse Boldt sophomore Dan Graff professor Lindsay McCray junior Julia Erdlen class of 2018 Peter Holland Sonja Mapes faculty Bailey Kendall senior David Phillips sophomore Richard Sheehan professor Augustine Pasin sophomore Steven Hieatt class of 1996 Matt Schoenbauer junior Ariana Zlioba class of 2018 Sarah McGough class of 2014 Caitlin Smith Oyekole Jacob Zwart class of 2017 Gwen McCain junior Zack Jones class of 2018 Pamela Bilo Thomas sophomore Carlos Covarrubias class of 2018 Samantha Berley senior Jeremy Davidheiser PhD Candidate Jinelfry Rodriguez senior Marisel Moreno Faculty Daniel Kim senior Beth Klein Staff Desiree San Martin class of 2016 Prathm Juneja senior Lucas Garcia class of 2015 Zoë Usowski senior Jackie O’Brien junior Aaron Harmaty Mariana Candido Elizabeth Baker Charles Barbour Karen Richman Patrick Aimone freshman Morgan Benson class of 2014 Dan Fischer PhD Student Rachel Wallace class of 2017 Patrick Caslin sophomore Connor Hayes class of 2016 Marisa Limon class of 1999 Melissa Gutierrez Lopez class of 2018 Monica Montañez class of 2008 Willian De Faria sophomore Philip Sakimoto Casey Baker class of 2017 Emily Beaudoin class of 2017 Aya Nagai junior Ale Orellana Muniz junior Emily Smith PhD Student Maria Aguillon De La Maza junior Maria Cristina Gonzalez class of 1989 Laura Ortiz-Mercado PhD Student Lauren Lopez class of 2009 Kevin Gallin class of 2010 José Alfredo Gonzalez class of 2008 Linde Hoffman junior Trey Murphy senior Emma Scheibel junior Carlos Grosso Carlos Grosso senior Olivia De Sonne Ammaccapane senior Erin Williams senior Isabella Delgado-Castillo junior James Murphy sophomore James L. Weitzel Thomson Guster class of 2017 Kiera Stubbs senior Kenta Sachen sophomore Samuel Pérez-Ayala Andrea Ruiz sophomore Julia Cogan junior Kaya Lawrence sophomore Kara Hughes class of 2020 Nicole Winsor Anton Povzner grad student Sean McMahon senior Ricardo J. Rios class of 1995 Maria Kenesey senior Amanda Castañeda class of 2017 Carolina Ochoa class of 2018 Sabrina Victor senior Patrick McCabe sophomore Madeline Kelly senior Brendan Markey sophomore Sheila Gregory sophomore Joao Santos Erin Hiestand David Stewart senior Carson Myers sophomore Warren Chatwin senior Patricia Quintana-Van Horne class of 1986 Veronica Guerrero class of 2015 Marie Sepeta class of 1983 Raymond Sepeta class of 1976 Suzanna Krivulskaya Ph.D. Candidate Rachel Hanks Roxana Rodriguez class of 2018 Anne Maguire Mary Szromba junior Matthew Aubourg sophomore Agustin Sanjuan-Castellano senior Veronica Flores class of 1997 Caroline Wight class of 2004 MacKenzie Isaac junior Cindy Lee class of 2018 Iheanyi Ekechukwu class of 2014 Cecily Castillo junior Camila Gonzalez junior Elizabeth Lawson Zapf class of 1986 Samantha Amezquita sophomore Emma Strouse Abby Stokes sophomore Martin Tracey class of 1990 Gwendolyn Sipos Butler Gabriella Garcia sophomore Georges Enderle Professor Carlos Murillo sophomore Andrea Topash-Rios John Stankovich senior Maria Herrera junior Ashley Hovorka SMC senior Alex Montoya class of 1996 María Isabel Mendoza junior Casey Valentine class of 2018 Alex Rice class of 2016 Patricia Gutierrez junior Grace Weissend class of 2018 Dakota Rivers sophomore Kelly Heiniger class of 2018 Alejandro Garcia class of 2005 Theodore Lopez sophomore Eric Kim junior Yesenia Aydt class of 2001 Alyssa Cook Tony Do senior Hye Sim Chung Stephen Hayes class of 1979 Sonia Urquidi class of 2017 Joanna Garcia class of 2002 Saury Lara Chalas senior Valerie Caamaño-Pichardo senior Julia Le class of 2017 Sarah Snider Salonee Seecharan class of 2018 Margaret Meserve Haley Levinsky sophomore Raquel Salinas class of 1994 Gail Bederman Associate Professor Sarah Cruz class of 2018 Anita Verdugo Tarango class of 1993 Father Joe Corpora, C.S.C. John Fernandez class of 1998 Katie (Clark) McNerney class of 1989 Rachel Kubiak senior Elisabeth Muk class of 2018 Philippe Collon Sophia Costanzo senior Kevin Perez senior Yanik Ariste Alexis Magana senior Ian Salzman junior Kevin Hans Waitkuweit Alejandra Osorio, Ana Del Valle sophomore Tia Wilson sophomore Isel Otero Torres Julianna Ortiz junior Liz Hernandez class of 1995 Latino Student Alliance Alex Jensen Zoe Kourajian class of 2016 Yoselin Martinez Lauriano frehman Steven Jessen-Howard class of 2018 Silvia Camara senior Jahaziel Valenzo junior Christian McWilliam class of 2017 Maria Ventura junior