Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024

Sorin and Walsh Halls experience water outage

Sorin and Walsh Halls experienced a water outage Wednesday and are awaiting testing to ensure the water is drinkable, according to emails sent to the dorm communities.

At 1:56 p.m. Wednesday, Sorin residents received an email from their rector, Fr. Bob Loughery, informing them that the water was out in both Sorin and Walsh Halls and that the toilets were not usable. University spokesperson Dennis Brown said water was restored to the buildings Wednesday evening.

“Sediment in the water main that serves these residence halls constricted the water flow to both buildings,” he said in an email. “The line has been cleared and was returned to service about 9 p.m. Wednesday. The line has been flushed twice, and water samples have been taken for each building.”

The outage was connected to Corby Hall construction, according to the email sent from Loughery to Sorin residents Wednesday.

“Water to Sorin and Walsh was diverted to another pipe after the start of construction,” Loughery said in the email. “Though the pipe was able to handle that water usage during the summer, the pipe was not able to support the sudden surge in usage these past couple days.”

In an email to Sorin and Walsh residents Wednesday, the Residential Life Team said Campus Utilities staff had been working throughout the day to restore water and would test the water “[o]ut of an abundance of caution.”

Bottled water was delivered to the dorms to ensure access to potable water during testing. Badin and St. Edward’s Halls opened their bathrooms to Walsh and Sorin while their showers and toilets were impacted by the water outage.

Brown said the University expects to receive the test results Friday afternoon.