'To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before': A review

Hi. To everyone who has already seen this movie or heard me talk about it, I’m sorry for bringing it up again — but also not really. To everyone who has not seen or heard of this movie before, you’re welcome for introducing you to something you will never forget. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a Netflix original starring Lana Condor and Noah Centineo. Who are these actors, you ask? Well, I too asked something like this when I began watching the movie. But, what I was mainly asking myself was why have I never heard of Noah Centineo, because honestly his smile could light up a room and, in this perma-cloud state we live in, I could use the light. Anyway, it doesn’t really matter if you have never heard of these actors before because once you watch this movie, you won’t forget.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before was first a book. Have I read this book? No. Am I the worst for that? Absolutely. However, some books are better as movies — I can’t currently think of one — but not having read this book, I’m going to say this is one of them. If you haven’t read the book, then you probably have no idea what this movie is about and when you find out, you’ll really be skeptical of my judgement. That’s totally fine, I feel you because I was skeptical at first too.

This is a movie about a teenage girl who wrote love letters to several boys who she had feelings for in the past and then put them in envelopes and addressed them but never meant to send them. In short it is a teen romance movie and about as predictable as can be. Right now, you may be thinking, “this girl really isn’t selling the movie to me.” However, the predictability of the story and the fact that it is probably aimed for a younger audience does not stop you from becoming hooked to the movie and falling in love with the quirks of the characters. From Lara Jean’s (Lana Condor’s character in the movie) obsession with romance novels to Peter’s (Noah Centineo) “woah woah woah woah.” The movie is a recipe for success that will have you wondering what would happen if you sent love letters to anyone you’ve ever had strong feelings for (but really, shoot your shot amirite, it’s 2018, you got this).

Also,you become a huge Noah Centineo fan as I have after watching this movie. I must tell you that he is in another Netflix original movie that recently came out called “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” and honestly that was the worst movie I have ever taken the time to watch — 10/10 would not recommend. But, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before?” Great movie. Forget studying for your Gen Chem test for a little and go watch it.