It’s the most wonderful time of the year

It’s hard for me to choose a favorite season — each one is so unique, but I always get excited when the days get shorter and the air gets colder. Holidays, movies, food and more are a part of what makes this time of year so fun and exciting. There’s nothing quite like sitting around a fire with the ones you love after a long day of being in the snow, which is as enjoyable as it is cliche. Winter might just be the most underrated season, and today I am going to tell you why. Here are some reasons why winter is my favorite time of year:

Snow — Growing up in the Midwest the first snow was almost as exciting as Christmas itself. Some of my best childhood memories are of sledding, ice skating and skiing as the snowflakes fell down. Everyone loves a good snowball fight, unless someone takes a hit to the face. Winter outdoor activities are the best. The cold never bothered me anyway.

Shopping — No matter what you are on the hunt for, shopping in inter is a lot of fun. Stores are stuffed to the brim with cozy sweaters and red and green lights, and I think shopping for Christmas presents for others is better than opening any on Christmas day. No holiday season is complete with a trip to Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland, the world’s largest Christmas store. Go big or go home. Decorated storefronts and bustling main streets are truly a sight to behold.

Movies — Whether it’s sappy, romantic, funny, heartbreaking or all of the above, I am a sucker for a good Holiday film. As I am writing this in my dorm, I have Hallmark Channel’s “Countdown to Christmas” playing in the background. Christmas movies are filled with holiday anecdotes, snowy settings, and mediocre acting and I am here for it.

Food — Hot chocolate, turkey, mashed potatoes, candy canes and who can forget the Christmas cookies! Holiday foods are warm, hearty and delicious and taste best after a long day of skiing or playing in the snow. Food brings people together and so do the holidays, therefore holiday food is the best of both worlds. If you have never tried to build a gingerbread house with stale gumdrops and glue-like frosting from a store bought kit and failed miserably, then I am truly sorry.

Christmas — I saved the best for last: Christmas! Decorating the tree, wrapping presents and listening to Christmas music are some of the best things about the Winter season. Since moving away from home, I have grown to appreciate the holidays so much more. I love catching up with family I have missed and eating really good food for a change (sorry, SMC). Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, so how can Winter not be as well?