Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Center for Career Development prepares students for Winter Career Fair with resources, workshops

Thousands of students will print out their resumes and straighten their ties Wednesday in preparation of the annual Winter Career Fair. Employers from across the country will meet in the Dahnke Ballroom from 4 to 8 p.m. to network with undergraduate and graduate students of all majors. The Center for Career Development has devoted countless hours to sponsoring the event for students and prospective employers.

“This is a great opportunity to learn about interview opportunities with employers and understand their respective recruiting calendars,” Ryan Willerton, associate vice president for career and professional development, said in an email. “Most importantly, the fair provides an environment where you can learn about companies and organizations which you may have never heard of before. Some of our top employers hire across many majors and colleges.”

Willerton said the Center for Career Development has been providing students with opportunities to prepare for the Winter Career Fair since mid-January, offering weekly workshops and presentations on topics such as LinkedIn, alumni connections, resume writing, interviewing and the popular “Getting Started with Career Development,” a series of group-based sessions that focus on specific topics in career preparation.

He also said staff members and career counselors have individually met with students to advise them about their approaches to the fair.

“The Center for Career Development is also offering an interview prep workshop at the Center for Career Development directly after the fair on the fifth floor of Duncan Student Center to help those students who may have an interview the day after the fair,” Willerton said.

The Office of Student Enrichment introduced a new event in preparation for this year’s career fair, partnering with the Center for Career Development and JCPenney at University Park Mall to host a “Suit Up” event.

“Notre Dame’s first ‘Suit Up’ event included style-wardrobe consultations, free mini makeovers and 40 percent off professional attire,” Willerton said. “Almost 400 students participated in this event to find professional clothing for the fair, interviews and summer internships.”

While hundreds of students don their business casual attire, Willerton said that 111 companies plan to attend the Winter Career Fair, with only a handful of companies unable to reschedule after the recent Polar Vortex postponed the event.

“The employer engagement team of the Center for Career Development reaches out to a wide variety of companies and non-profit organizations to attend the fair,” Willerton said in the email. “Everything from tech firms, to engineering companies to businesses. Some organizations are seeking interns, while others are seeking full-time positions. Some are large, international corporations and others are service-related organizations and nonprofits.”

Willerton said many of their top employers pursue talented students who can communicate effectively, embrace diversity and work efficiently in team-based environments.

“An important thing to remember about a career fair is to approach the event as an opportunity to network, meet new people and learn about industries and organizations,” Willerton said. “Whether you are a first-year student, graduating senior, master’s degree candidate or Ph.D. student, everyone is welcome to come, explore and network.”