Saint Mary’s hosts milkshakes and face masks event to build community

The Saint Mary’s Residence Life staff will be shaking things up in Holy Cross Hall on Wednesday by hosting a face masks and milkshakes event to provide a small break for students.

The event began with the help of Holy Cross director Allyson Strasen and Saint Mary’s alumna and former resident assistant Madeline Zuniga.

“Earlier in the semester, [Zuniga] reached out to me about potentially collaborating on a program in Holy Cross,” Strasen said in an email. “Madeline was a [resident] assistant in Holy Cross when she was a student at Saint Mary’s and is now an independent consultant for Beautycounter, a company whose mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. It has a strong focus on education, and Madeline was interested in sharing the message with Saint Mary’s students — a great target audience for a conversation on safe and effective beauty practices. All of the residence halls at Saint Mary’s host at least three all-hall events every semester, so we decided to team up with Madeline for this one to give students a chance to learn more about Beautycounter and relax and unwind as the second half of the spring semester gets started.”

The event simultaneously supports building community in Holy Cross and supporting conscience beauty choices, Strasen added.  

“Events like this build community within the residence hall and give residents an opportunity to get to know each other, relax and destress and stay involved with their peers outside of an academic setting,” she said. “This particular event promotes safe beauty practices and gives residents a chance to unwind and indulge in themselves.” 

Junior resident assistant Anastasia Hite echoed Strasen and said she hopes the event helps empower Holy Cross residents.

“Our message is building community and promoting the wellness of the residents [and] getting the information that you need to make a decision on things,” she said. “Our stance is, ‘Let’s all get together and have some fun and drink some milkshakes … Our hope is always to build a bigger community. Especially in a building like this when you pretty much have your friends when you come into it.”

Hite will be making milkshakes at the event Wednesday evening from 7:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.