Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024

Saints hope to build continuity after program's second year

In the second season of the Holy Cross programs, both the men’s and women’s teams missed out on their respective CCAC conference tournaments. The men  (5-10, 2-6) finished sixth, while the women (0-10, 0-7) finished eighth.

Neither team was aided by the addition of a new head coach and the level of inexperience each possessed.

Though both teams gained a new head coach, the inexperience of the men and women seemed to be reflected in their performances. The women’s squad consisted solely of six freshmen, and the Saints men featured six underclassmen, one junior and one senior. However, first-year head coach Eric Mahone said he is very optimistic about his team’s youth and the development they will make for next year.

“We are returning a very young core in rising sophomore Dominic Gibson and rising junior Dylan Euzarraga,” Mahone said. “They have been solid players for us all season along with the rest of the team.”

After going 4-4 to start the year, the men’s team finished with a 1-6 record, failing to win a match in three of the final six competitions. However, as Mahone mentioned, the young players have performed well to date, as Gibson won the CCAC Men's Tennis Player of the Week for the period from March 17 to 23.

For the women, freshmen Julie Wappell and Mina Fabiano combined to account for five of the team’s seven points on the year. Despite their tumultuous year, Mahone sees a bright side in the fact that the players have gotten a lot of experience in their first year and the team will have three more years to develop further.

“The girls really enjoyed themselves out there this season,” Mahone said. “We are hoping to build off of this year and go into next season with some success.”