Former College President returns to Saint Mary’s to teach courses in 2020

Former College President Jan Cervelli will return to Saint Mary’s to teach courses in art and environmental studies in the spring of 2020. 

The announcement comes several months after Cervelli filed a civil lawsuit against Saint Mary’s, alleging members of the College’s Board of Trustees pressured her to resign and did not honor their settlement agreement with her.

Donna Fischman, director of integrated communications, stated Cervelli has always been a tenured professor and will be fulfilling those duties in the spring semester. 

“Cervelli has been a tenured professor since she joined the College,” Fischman said. “Last fall, she resigned from her position as president but retained her tenure status. She is scheduled to teach art and environmental studies courses in the spring semester.”

Kathy Reddy, a source close to Cervelli, confirmed her professorship with the College in September and said Cervelli had started negotiating with the College in August to teach courses during the spring semester. 

Posters advertising the ART 274 course “Introduction to Environmental Design” with Cervelli listed as the instructor were posted around the College’s campus Wednesday. The posters encourage students to email Cervelli at jcervelli@saintmarys.edu if they have questions about the course.