Thank you for your hospitality

I wanted to thank the students of Notre Dame for their warm hospitality over the weekend. I came to your campus — your home — for a bucket list trip to watch Notre Dame play Navy. We arrived onto your campus around 3:30 p.m. Friday. Y’all were besieged by folks like me. Tours running everywhere — I can’t remember ever seeing so many folks walking backward! Tourists absolutely everywhere. I would expect some reasonable resentment of this invasion by the students who still need to get to class or dorms or libraries, etc. I live near D.C. — I understand the aggravation of tourists fumbling in the way of my everyday. But, I encountered just the opposite from the students and staff at Notre Dame. “Can I help you find something?” “Did you hear about [fill in the blank with one of the plethora of game weekend traditions]?” “Can I help with your pic in front of Touchdown Jesus?” I was floored and very appreciative of your welcome! It made this very special weekend for me even more so.

I teach at a Holy Cross high school near D.C. (Bishop McNamara High School). I have taught wee freshmen about St. Andre and the importance of hospitality in the Holy Cross charism. I am very proud of our kids when I hear friends from other schools mention how welcoming our students are whenever they visit our school. But, y’all are something else! You welcomed thousands. Brother Andre would be proud of you! I am deeply grateful. Keep building family! Keep bringing hope!
Paul O’Brien
Campus visitor
Nov. 18