Irish release cornerback commit arrested on burglary charge

The Notre Dame football program has released cornerback commit Landen Bartleson after he was taken into custody Friday. Bartleson was charged with burglary, criminal mischief and receiving stolen property, as first reported by Kentucky TV station WKYT Lexington.

A Boyle County High School standout in Danville, Kentucky, Bartleson was arrested Friday along with two unidentified 16-year-olds in connection with the robbery of several firearms from a Boyle County business. The three are also linked to the theft of a vehicle from the nearby campus of Centre College in Danville.

Bartleson, a 6-foot, 180-pounder who signed with the Irish in the early signing period and was expected to enroll in June, is a three-star prospect and the No. 6-ranked player in the state of Kentucky, according to Rivals.com. He helped lead the Rebels to the Kentucky class 4A state championship game.

Notre Dame vice president for public affairs and communications Paul Browne released an initial statement on the University’s behalf following the arrest.

"We have just learned of the situation and are not commenting further until we gather more information," Browne said.

Having gathered information, Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly has since released his own statement.

"After reviewing all of the facts available to us and speaking with the Bartleson family, we informed them that Landen will no longer be welcomed as a member of our football program," Kelly said. "This incident is very much out of character for the man we have come to know and we wish Landen and his family well."