Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024

Saint Mary’s receives $1 million grant to expand health sciences program

The Lilly Endowment Inc. has awarded the College a $1 million grant to move forward on a new Center for Integrative Healthcare Education (CIHE) on campus, Saint Mary’s announced in a press release Wednesday.

The CIHE is designed to help the College build off the strengths it holds in its health sciences, specifically the nursing department.

The grant will assist in the transformation of the first floor and lower level of Regina Hall into the CIHE.

“The CIHE will encourage collaboration among Saint Mary’s health science and behavioral health programs and better prepare graduates for careers in healthcare and related human service sectors, which face hiring shortages and increasing skill gaps,” College President Katie Conboy said in an email to staff and faculty.

According to Conboy, the grant will benefit the College by allowing more students to be educated in the health sciences and will allow for an overall reduced cost to educate students at Saint Mary’s.

Saint Mary’s has long boasted their health sciences, Titilayo Ufomata, provost and senior vice president added.

“We’ve built a solid foundation through our current programming to deliver graduates who are multi-faceted,” Ufomata said. “Yet, certain barriers impede the expansion of our programming. For example, the College’s Nursing Science program faces capacity constraints imposed by its facility, originally built in the 1950’s as an elementary school. The Lilly grant will put in motion our plan to graduate next-level students who can deliver superior care to individuals with multiple and diverse needs, utilizing a multidisciplinary approach developed through working with colleagues from other healthcare disciplines in the College.”

Lilly Endowment invited all of Indiana’s 38 accredited public and private colleges and universities to apply for the grant.