Saturday, July 27, 2024

Student body election results to be announced during 8 p.m. broadcast

This report was updated at at 1:27 p.m. Thursday.

The results of the 2021 student body election were delayed after an allegation of misconduct was made Wednesday. The election results were meant to be announced via livestream at 12:15 a.m. Thursday.

“Unfortunately at 11:58 [p.m.], the Judicial Council received an allegation of election misconduct,” Judicial Council President junior Thomas Davis said in the broadcast.

Davis said at this time, he and the vice president of elections David Haungs are reviewing the merit of the allegation.

“We have 24 hours to determine this merit,” Davis said. “We cannot release the results of the election until this pending allegation is finished.”

In a call following the announcement, Davis told The Observer that regardless of the decision the Judicial Council makes, they will wait until Thursday morning or later to release the results.

The results of the student body election will be announced during a livestream at 8 p.m. tonight.

Davis said in a Thursday email to the Observer the allegation was resolved by the Judicial Council at 10:08 a.m. Thursday, and no further allegations were or can be made.

Davis also said the allegation of misconduct will be addressed tonight in line with what is permitted by the Constitution.

“This year, in order to increase the transparency of our operations, we have already begun releasing advisory opinions to the public so that we are accountable for our decisions to the student body,” Davis said. “While these advisory opinions do not name parties, they do indeed lay out the nature and facts of meritless allegations in depth.”