Observer Fantasy Corner: Week 2, must-adds and must-drops

The National Football League is back! With the first game this Thursday between the Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, it will be intriguing to see how the season will unfold. This is also the week where millions of Fantasy Football fans will begin to understand their lineup and see if they made the right decision in drafting. We at the Fantasy Corner are here to provide helpful information to help you, and your lineup win every game! 

Sam Ouhaj

Must start: Tyler Boyd, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

Boyd was one of my most reliable starters last season, and while he won’t be a WR2 this year, he is still a solid flex play despite the Bengals adding Ja’Marr Chase and already having Tee Higgins. I like Tyler Boyd this week against a depleted Minnesota defense that has Patrick Peterson, who is getting up there in age. If this were four years ago, I wouldn’t mention Boyd, but that is not the case. Play Boyd at the flex if you can, and be prepared to reap the benefits. 

Must sit: Gerald Everett, TE, Seattle Seahawks

Gerald Everett went from having one of the worst QB’s in the league, Jared Goff, to a future Hall of Famer in Russell Wilson. It makes sense why the hype is there for him to be your everyday starter, especially with how tight ends perform in Seattle, but I suggest you avoid him this week. While the Indianapolis Colts will be shaky on offense, their defense is one of the top units led by Darius Leonard. When Everett isn’t going up against a top defensive unit, he will easily be in my starting lineup. 

Must add: Marquez Callaway, WR, New Orleans Saints (Owned in 66.7% of leagues) 

John Kalemkerian 

Must start: Brandin Cooks, WR, Houston Texans

While the QB situation in Houston is still a question mark, Cooks has been underrated the entire offseason. Even if Tyrod Taylor ends up starting under center, Cooks faces very little competition for touches (Chris Conley, Anthony Miller) and should end up seeing a heavy dose of targets against a poor Jaguars defense. On a Texans offense otherwise starved for talent at the skill positions, Cooks is a strong flex play this week.

Must sit: Jerry Jeudy, WR, Denver Broncos

This may come as a surprise considering Jeudy was drafted as a WR2 for most teams, but an opening matchup with the Giants does Jeudy no favors. He’ll be shadowed by lockdown corner James Bradberry, and for a second-year wideout who surpassed four receptions in only four games last season, that spells bust. The Broncos are also rolling with Teddy Bridgewater, who failed to top 300 passing yards in all but three games last season. Jeudy will get the chance to shine at some point in 2021, but find a better option to help win your opening week.

Must add: Jakobi Meyers, WR, New England Patriots (Owned in 54.1% of leagues)

Gehrig Smalstig 

Must start: Corey Davis, WR, New York Jets

Corey Davis had a fantastic year in 2020 and looks to be the number one option for the Jets in this upcoming season. I don't have much faith in Zach Wilson and think he’ll likely turn the ball over a couple of times against a Panthers defense that is prone to big plays, but I do think he’ll lean on Davis for easy production. Reports out of camp talk of growing chemistry between the two and even the slightest bit of added confidence is huge for rookie QBs. 

Must sit: Ja’Marr Chase, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

I love Chase’s talent and will defend the Bengals picking him more than most, but I don’t see him getting off to a hot start this year. He has had some confidence and drop issues in camp, and those usually don't get resolved in someone’s first NFL start. Additionally, I think that Joe Burrow could be off of his best game coming back from injury, especially while facing a disciplined Mike Zimmer defense. Overall, look for the Bengals to struggle on offense in week 1 and comfortably place Ja’Marr Chase on your bench.

Must add: Parris Campbell, WR, Indianapolis Colts

Someone has to emerge as the number one option for Carson Wentz in Indy. While the consensus is that Michael Pittman Jr. will be the one to break out, I think there’s a good chance that Campbell gets just as much work. His injury history is bad, but that is often looked at too much by many in the fantasy community. A lot of injuries are a product of poor luck, so hopefully, it’s Campbell’s time to have a healthy and productive season. 

J.J Post 

Must start: Brandon Aiyuk, WR, San Francisco 49ers

There’s no need to overthink week one. Aiyuk was a top twenty receiver in PPR leagues last season and only seemed to get better as the year went on. He opens 2021 with a perfect matchup against a Detroit defense that was torched constantly last year. While the 49ers starting quarterback is still, as of this writing a question mark, either Jimmy Garoppolo or Trey Lance should be able to get their leading receiver the ball without much trouble against the Lions. Expect big numbers from the Aiyuk as the 49ers look for a statement opening win and one of Garoppolo or Lance tries to cement themselves as the starter.

Must sit: Darnell Mooney, WR, Chicago Bears

I love Mooney and think you should absolutely get him on your team ASAP. I think he could be a league-winning sleeper pick if all goes right down the line. But this week is not the week to throw him in the starting lineup. It’s still unknown precisely what share of the targets Mooney will be getting, and he’ll have to make his mark against arguably the leagues’ best defense — a more established option would be the smarter play for this week. 

Must add: AJ Dillon, RB, Green Bay Packers

Dillon is a popular pickup as a handcuff for fellow Packers back Aaron Jones, but if he’s available in your league you’d be well advised to get him on your roster early — the young back was efficient in his carries during his rookie season and Green Bay coach Matt LaFleur has shown a willingness to spread carries around despite having Jones at his disposal.

Jamison Cook 

Must start: Mike Davis, RB, Atlanta Falcons

Davis was probably one of the best waiver-wire pickups of the season last year, and I think that his role in Atlanta is being discounted by many. He was a stud for the Panthers in the absence of CMC, and he now has the chance to dominate touches in a backfield that is part of a high octane offense. This can only mean good things for your fantasy team. Julio is gone, and the Falcons will have to rely on their new faces in TE Kyle Pitts and Davis alongside star WR Calvin Ridley, so I expect another big year from Davis. 

Must sit: Josh Jacobs, RB, Las Vegas Raiders

The Raiders play host to the Ravens in week one, and Baltimore’s stingy run defense makes Jacobs an immediately unappealing play. Pair that with the fact that the Raiders brought in Kenyan Drake in the offseason, and Jacobs’ role is very unclear. He should be the lead back in the Vegas backfield, but you don’t want to find out the hard way. If Jacobs is the lead back and can imitate his early-season form from a year ago, then he is a weekly starter. Just give him a week out of your lineup to make sure. 

Must add: Alex Mattison, RB, Minnesota Vikings (owned in 31% of leagues)

Justice Mory 

Must start: Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Jacksonville Jaguars

With new starting quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the young Jaguars offense is poised to improve this season. The wide receiver room lacks a clear number one, but Shenault will likely be on the receiving end of a good portion of the target share. He may even get some extra underneath looks with the injury of teammate Travis Etienne, who many expected to be involved in the screen game this season. Shenault closed out his 2020 rookie campaign with 4 double-digit PPR fantasy games over 5 weeks and is positioned as a solid flex target this year, especially due to his run after catch ability. 

Must sit: Kenny Golladay, WR, New York Giants

Quarterback Daniel Jones is reason number one, but it is a major risk starting Golladay early in the season. Coming off an injury, and missing the preseason due to a hamstring issue, it may be a few weeks until the volume and production pick up to where starting him is warranted. Additionally, a matchup against the Denver Broncos’ new secondary that includes Kyle Fuller, Patrick Surtain II and Bryce Callahan, does him no favors.