Monday, May 13, 2024

McGlinn Hall to host annual Casino Night

This Friday, the women of McGlinn Hall will invite the Notre Dame community to a night of poker, card games, raffle prizes and more.

Casino Night is McGlinn’s signature event. It is put on every year to raise money for Saint Adalbert Catholic School in South Bend. 

The event will be held in Dahnke Ballroom from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. 

Junior Lainey Teeters, vice president of McGlinn Hall, said this year Casino Night will be open for all students to attend. Last year, due to COVID restrictions, only McGlinn students and their dates were able to go. 

“It’s definitely our most successful and well-attended event, by both McGlinn girls and campus-wide,” Teeters said. “A lot of people get really excited.”

Upon entry, attendees receive a pack of pretend money to use to play games including Texas Hold’em, blackjack and roulette. Money won playing games can be used to enter a raffle to win prizes such as gift cards to restaurants, gift baskets and a speaker. 

Texas Hold’em will be a tournament, with the championship game being held at 11 p.m. The winner will receive a $100 Amazon gift card and second place will receive a $50 Amazon gift card.

The event also features a Cake Walk with cakes from Nothing Bundt Cakes.

Throughout the year, McGlinn residents volunteer to tutor kids at Saint Adalbert’s.  

Junior Jinny Gouldin, president of McGlinn Hall, said she hopes to raise a couple thousand dollars to donate to Saint Adalbert’s. 

“It’s a really great way for us to give back to the South Bend community,” Gouldin said.

Junior Lauren Stark, head commissioner of Casino Night, said the committee encourages people to get dressed up for the event. Many of the girls like to wear “LBDs,” or little black dresses, and heels.

“You should have seen how excited everyone was when I told them what the attire was,” Stark said. “It’s just a lot of fun to get dressed up … just to look your best and have a lot of fun with your friends.”

Planning has consisted of meetings with the Student Activities Office, making posters and marketing, booking the venue and organizing security and ushers, Stark said. 

Gouldin said this year, she hopes there will be more of a casino atmosphere than last year, as there will be more people and different games. 

“We’re waiting until everybody’s fully boosted and all that, so we’re hoping … people will see this as an opportunity to stay on campus and still have a fun night,” Gouldin said.

Tickets are available for $5 and can be purchased via the student shop, through QR codes posted across campus or at the door on Friday. 

Casino Night is an exciting event because people can come and feel like they are in an actual casino, which is a fun experience, Gouldin said.

“It’s an opportunity for us to all come together at the start of the semester, and have fun and also just to continue to give back to the area that has given so much to us,” Gouldin said.