Notre Dame to suspend COVID Response Unit operations

The University will suspend COVID Response Unit (CRU) operations May 20, according to an email from the Office of the Provost on Thursday.

Symptomatic testing will transition to University Health Services (UHS) for students and the Wellness Center for faculty and staff beginning May 23. Surveillance testing will be suspended.

COVID-19 trends on campus and in the South Bend community continue to be positive, interim provost Chris Maziar said in the email.

"The trends on our campus and locally continue to be encouraging and, while we fully expect to continue to see variations of the virus, we believe the high vaccination rates within our campus community and the growing availability of at-home testing kits will allow us to modify our existing COVID mitigation practices," the email said.

Residential Life will take control of quarantine and isolation accommodations for students living on campus, according to the email. Other aspects of the University's COVID response such as the dashboard, hotline and contact tracing will also be suspended.

The email said while the University will continue to monitor trends, the base strategy will be to rely on good health practices.

"We recognize that the virus is likely with us for the foreseeable future," the email said. "Our base strategy, however, will be one of vigilance that takes advantage of available vaccinations and relies on good health practices."