Observer Athlete of the Week: Hruskoci, Zyska lead the way

In a week where Notre Dame played themselves on the gridiron, the Irish seemingly couldn’t lose in any sport.

The Belles and Saints weren’t too far behind either, putting up some highly impressive performances. And, for the first time, all three schools are represented in the Observer’s Tri-Campus Athletes and Team of the Week.

Women’s Athlete of the Week: Sydney Hruskoci, Saint Mary’s Golf

Sydney Hruskoci is the lone senior on the Belles’ roster. As Saint Mary’s locked up their fourth straight NCAA Tournament appearance, Hruskoci led the way. Along with co-captain Erin Bennett, Hruskoci led the field with a first-round 80. Amidst pouring rain, she fired an 83 in the second round, but that paved the way for her third round. There, Hruskoci blistered through the course with a 74. Hruskoci finished three shots clear in that final round of her nearest competitor. That was good for the overall individual title over the three-round event. She won the tournament by four strokes. The individual conference title and contribution to her team’s title earned Hruskoci the Observer Tri-Campus Female Athlete of the Week.

Honorable Mention: Bridget Kane, Saint Mary’s Lacrosse

Kane is becoming a regular in these awards. The winner two weeks ago, Kane claimed honorable mention this week. As the Belles went 2-1 in three conference games, Kane delivered three solid performances. Ultimately, she scored ten times and assisted nine goals for 19 points over the week and claimed Honorable Mention.

Men’s Athlete of the Week: Jack Zyska, Notre Dame Baseball

As the Irish went 5-0 on the diamond, they looked to senior outfielder Jack Zyska to spark their winning streak. Zyska blasted three home runs in five games and went 8-17 at the plate. He knocked in ten runs during the week. Zyska clinched this award with an electrifying Sunday performance. Zyska delivered a solo blast with the Irish trailing by five runs. In his next plate appearance, Zyska represented the tying run in the seventh inning. Down 12-9, the Irish needed a big hit. And Zyska delivered, launching a high fly for a three-run shot that tied the score. Notre Dame went on to walk off Wake Forest in the ninth inning. Zyska’s huge week for the Irish gives him his first career nomination and Male Athlete of the Week award.

Honorable Mention: Perry Gregg, Holy Cross Tennis

Gregg delivered a dynamic performance over two matches at No. 1 singles for the Saints. He didn’t drop a set en route to winning both his matches during the week. Against St. Francis, Gregg won 6-1, 6-3 at the top court and contributed to a 6-3 doubles victory as well. Then, facing No. 2 Indiana Wesleyan, Gregg contributed to both of the Saints’ points in a 4-2 loss. He notched their only victory in singles, winning 6-3, 7-6. In doubles, Gregg and his partner took home a 7-6 victory to help Holy Cross secure the point on the doubles court.

Team of the Week: Saint Mary’s Golf

This was an incredibly tough decision. Notre Dame was undefeated in men’s lacrosse (1-0), women’s lacrosse (2-0), softball (4-0) and baseball (5-0). But topping them wall all was the Belles on the golf course. Over three rounds at the MIAA tournament, Saint Mary’s dominated the field, winning by 56 strokes. The Belles boasted the top three individual finishers and set a new conference record with their team score of 960. Saint Mary’s heads to their fourth straight NCAA Tournament and claims the Team of the Week honors.