Holy Cross to award three honorary degrees at commencement

Holy Cross will award three honorary degrees to David Wantz, John Nally and Barbara O’Connor at its 55th Commencement on Saturday, according to the commencement webpage. The three recipients will be honored in addition to the class of 2022 valedictorian, Miles Folsom, and the salutatorians for the natural and quantitative sciences, humanities and social sciences departments, Allison Hano, Dane Litchfield and Mireya Robles, respectively.

Wantz, who will deliver the commencement address, is the president and chief executive officer of the non-profit organization Independent Colleges of Indiana (ICI). The organization aids in fundraising, advocacy and development for Indiana’s 29 private, non-profit, regionally accredited colleges and universities.

At his position, Wantz “advocates on behalf of Indiana’s students at the Indiana State House and Washington, D.C., and works to strengthen relationships with people and organizations who can assist the ICI institutions,” the announcement said.

Nally is the director of education at the Indiana Department of Correction and has taught in adult and juvenile correctional facilities throughout his career, according to the announcement.

O’Connor, a trustee at the College since 2014, is chair of the Academic Affairs Committee and was recognized in the commencement announcement as “the leading benefactor of the College in the last fifteen years.”

The event will be held on Holy Cross’s campus at 2 p.m. Saturday, the announcement said. It will be live-streamed for those who are unable to attend in person.