Breen-Phillips Hall to undergo renovation, residents to live in Zahm House next year

Breen-Phillips Hall (BP) residents will move to temporary housing in Zahm House as their dorm undergoes renovations during the 2023-24 school year, according to an email sent to residents Thursday. 

Director of residential life Breyan Tornifolio wrote in an email to the BP community that the renovations will focus on upgrading the mechanical systems and creating more spaces for community building. 

After Zahm House was closed as a permanent residential community in the spring of 2021, it has been used for temporary housing for dorms receiving significant renovations. Currently, Alumni Hall is utilizing the space. Sorin College residents lived in Zahm last year. 

Tornifolio noted in his email that BP will be the first renovated dorm on North Quad and that the scope of renovations will be similar to that of Walsh and Badin Halls. The email also said the decision comes from the University's residential master plan. 

"Many of the design elements will draw from the University’s residential master plan, developed in 2014 after years of outside research, benchmarking and student feedback. In the coming weeks, Residential Life leaders will also host a focus group with students from the BP Hall community," Tornifolio wrote. 

He concluded the announcement by writing that current BP residents will have the chance to view the layout of Zahm during an organized open house in the spring, ahead of room picks for next year.