Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Irish men's soccer ties Pitt in last regular season contest

Notre Dame men’s soccer faced off against No. 23 Pitt last Friday in Pittsburgh in their last game of the regular season. The game ended in a 1-1 tie. 

Pitt controlled the game for most of the first half, leading Notre Dame 1-0 at halftime after a goal from Pitt junior Bertin Jacquesson. A few minutes into the second half, Pitt defender Yanis Leerman received his second yellow card and was ejected from the game. Notre Dame’s junior forward Daniel Russo took advantage of his absence and scored a goal to tie the game 1-1. His goal was assisted by sophomore forward Eno Nto. Neither team was able to score again, and the game ended in a tie. 

With the tie against Pitt, Notre Dame finished their season 8-6-2 overall, and 3-4-1 in the ACC. Pitt finished their season 7-3-5 overall and 3-2-3 in the ACC. 

Notre Dame now heads into the postseason as the No. 9 seed in the ACC. While Notre Dame is the current reigning ACC champion, they are unlikely to win the title for a second year in a row.

The Irish will try to survive the first round of the playoffs in their first tournament game against No. 8 Clemson. The game kicks off on Nov. 2 at 8 p.m. in Clemson, South Carolina and will be televised on the ACC network. Pitt earned a No. 6 seed in the ACC tournament and will play No. 11 NC State at 7 p.m. EST on Nov. 2 in Pittsburgh.