University offers bivalent booster clinic

Notre Dame will host a vaccination clinic for the COVID-19 bivalent booster, which is required for students to enroll in the 2023-2024 academic year.

The clinic will be held on campus in the Stepan Center on Jan. 26 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m, as announced in emails to the student body on Dec. 7 and Jan. 12. Students must register in advance through University Health Services (UHS).

If students receive the Pfizer-BioNTech booster at the clinic, documentation will be automatically uploaded. Students who elect to get the Pfizer or Moderna bivalent booster off-campus must upload their documentation to their UHS student portal.

As of Sept. 1, the bivalent booster is the only booster offered nationwide. Any student who received a booster dose after Sept. 1 is in compliance with the requirement, as long as documentation is uploaded. The deadline to receive the booster dose is March 1. 

The University announced the student booster requirement in an email from UHS director Edward Junkins on Nov. 14. All students, including undergraduate, graduate, professional and those participating in virtual research or learning, are included in the requirement.

The bivalent booster marks an additional vaccine required for students to be considered fully vaccinated against COVID for the 2023-2024 academic year, in addition to two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines or a single shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. The seasonal flu vaccine was also required this year for the third time since 2020.

If students do not fulfill the bivalent booster requirement or receive an exemption, a hold will be placed on their accounts to prevent registration for classes for the 2023 fall semester. Those who have already received an COVID vaccine exemption need not apply again.