Vaughan: Previewing the American League East

With Opening Day just days away, the Major League Baseball (MLB) season is almost here. With the season about to start, it’s time to finish looking ahead to the upcoming season and the expectations for each club. Over the past few weeks, I’ve previewed 25 teams, helping get fans ready for the 154th season of professional baseball. Up this week, the final edition of the preseason previews, the American League East.

Division Overview: Over the past decade, the AL East has exhibited substantial parity. All five teams have won the division at least once. In 2022, the New York Yankees recaptured the AL East crown, winning the division for the first time since 2019, their 20th division title overall.

Baltimore Orioles (2022: 83-79, .512)

After three straight 100+ losses seasons, the Baltimore Orioles turned the corner in 2022, finishing over .500 for the first time since 2016. The O’s look to build off that momentum in 2023 with a playoff appearance. With the top farm system in baseball, Baltimore will rely on young talent, starting with talented catcher Adley Rutschman. The switch-hitting backstop finished top three in AL Rookie of the Year voting and could take yet another step forward. Joining Rutschman will be Gunnar Henderson (baseball’s top-rated prospect), an early Rookie of the Year Award contender. Filling in the rest of the infield will be a mix of offseason acquisitions: former All-Stars Adam Frazier and James McCann, as well as former prospects Jorge Mateo and Ryan Mountcastle. The outfield is led by two sluggers in Cedric Mullins and Anthony Santander, as well as Austin Hays. The rotation will be led by Kyle Gibson, with Dean Kremer and Cole Irvin making up the top three. However, it is likely that Baltimore’s best starter is not even on the current roster. Ace John Means is set to return from Tommy John later this summer, while Grayson Rodriguez (7th ranked prospect in baseball) will begin the season in Triple-A. In relief, the Orioles added Mychal Givens to join Cionel Pérez and Dillon Tate, as well as closer Félix Bautista. 2022 was encouraging, but the Orioles believe the best is yet to come for their prospect-studded squad.

Boston Red Sox (2022: 78-84, .491)

After making the playoffs in four of the past five full seasons, the Boston Red Sox were unable to compete in a stacked division, finishing last despite being just six games under .500. In order to rebound in 2023, Boston will be counting on new faces, particularly in the infield, where a trio of departures leaves All-Star third baseman Rafael Devers as the only starter returning. Joining Devers in the infield will be the highly touted Triston Casas (23rd ranked prospect in baseball), veteran slugger Justin Turner, the speedy Adalberto Mondesi and utilityman Christian Arroyo. Reese McGuire and Connor Wong will share the catching duties. In the outfield, mainstays Alex Verdugo will join newcomers Adam Duvall and Masataka Yoshida. Enrique Hernández is likely to see time all over the diamond. In terms of pitching, the starting rotation will be headed by workhorse Nick Pivetta, with Corey Kluber, Chris Sale and James Paxton returning from injury. Young arms Brayan Bello, Josh Winckowski and Tanner Houck are in the mix to start as well. The bullpen was improved with free agent signings Chris Martin and closer Kenley Jansen, who should complement Ryan Brasier, John Schreiber and others. Playing with a new-look squad in one of the toughest divisions in baseball, 2023 looks to be difficult for the Red Sox, with a playoff spot far from certain.

New York Yankees (2022: 99-63, .611)

For the sixth consecutive season, the New York Yankees made the postseason, but failed to claim their 28th World Series title. The Bronx Bombers were washed out of the playoffs by the Astros in the ALCS. The biggest offseason move made by Brian Cashman and the Yankee brass was the re-signing of 2022 AL MVP Aaron Judge, one of baseball’s biggest stars, to a nine-year, $360 million deal. The Yankees also resigned first baseman Anthony Rizzo (two years, $40 million) and splurged on lefty starter Carlos Rodón (six years, $162 million). The rotation will be led by All-Star starters Gerrit Cole and Nestor Cortes, though Frankie Montas and Luis Severino are both slated to start the season on the IL. Closer Clay Holmes heads a bullpen that was one of the best in baseball last season, with Jonathan Loáisiga, Michael King and others providing valuable innings as well. In terms of position players, Anthony Volpe (5th ranked prospect in baseball) will be starting the year in the Bronx, hoping to become the team’s first long-term answer at shortstop since Jeter. Along with Volpe and the aforementioned Rizzo, the infield will feature Gleyber Torres, Josh Donaldson and Gold Glover DJ LeMahieu – and most likely, Oswald Peraza (52nd ranked prospect), sometime later this the season. Behind the dish, the Yankees will employ one of the best 1-2 punches in baseball, with Platinum Glover Jose Trevino and Kyle Higashioka splitting time. In the outfield, Judge will be joined by Giancarlo Stanton and Harrison Bader (when healthy), among others. The 2023 Yankees return a talented squad and have title-winning aspirations for this season

Tampa Bay Rays (2022: 86-76, .531)

In 2022, the Tampa Bay Rays made the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year, despite one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. Unfortunately, that playoff run would be short-lived, with Tampa being swept by the Guardians in the Wild Card round. Though Tampa inked a three-year, $40 million deal for starting pitcher Zach Eflin, the Rays are otherwise banking on major contributions from players returning from injuries. That bet is paramount at middle infield, where stars Wander Franco (fresh off his 11-year, $182 million extension) and Brandon Lowe missed a combined 176 games this past year. Surrounding these two cornerstones are Yandy Díaz and Isaac Paredes, both coming off strong seasons. The outfield is headlined by standout Randy Arozarena, who has a knack for the big moments. He’s joined by baserunning standouts Manuel Margot and Jose Siri. Catchers Christian Bethancourt and Francisco Mejía and DH Harold Ramírez round out the lineup. On the pitching side of things,  lefty Shane McClanahan, who finished top 6 in 2022 Cy Young voting, is the ace. Behind him, the Rays will utilize Eflin, along with Drew Rasmussen, Jeffrey Springs and others. Dominant righty Tyler Glasnow may return soon, though he is currently dealing with an oblique injury. The slated MLB debut of Taj Bradley, the 20th ranked prospect in baseball should provide depth as well. Closer Jason Adam is coming off a career year (1.56 ERA over 67 games) and looks to anchor a deep bullpen featuring Pete Fairbanks and Jalen Beeks. With a lockdown pen, dynamic starters and key returnees the Rays are poised to fight for a playoff spot once again, and potentially some wins in October too.

Toronto Blue Jays (2022: 92-70, .568)

Although they won over 90 games for their second consecutive year, the Toronto Blue Jays’ 2022 campaign ended a season-ending playoff sweep. In 2023, the Jays feature a talented roster that hopes to extend their postseason stay. Toronto will be led by position players, most notably All Stars Vladimir Guerrero, Jr. (fresh off a Gold Glove), Santiago Espinal and Alejandro Kirk (fresh off a Silver Slugger Award). Surrounding them on the left side of the infield will be Bo Bichette and Matt Chapman, who both look to return to All-Star form. George Springer is the only primary outfielder to return, but he’ll be joined by defensive wizard Kevin Kiermaier and versatile power-hitter Daulton Varsho. Whit Merrifield provides quality depth around the diamond. When not catching, Danny Jansen looks to DH as well. In terms of arms, the starting rotation is led by a two-headed monster in Alek Manoah and Kevin Gausman. Behind them, free agent signing Chris Bassitt looks to take over for Ross Stripling, while José Berríos hopes to recapture his old Twins form. Hyun Jim Ryu’s slated midseason return from Tommy John should be a boost. Relivers Jordan Romano, Erik Swanson and Tim Mayza look to anchor down the bullpen. In sum, the Blue Jays return one of the most loaded lineups in baseball, one that they hope, along with improved starting pitching, can take them deep into the postseason.

Closing Thoughts and Other News

The AL East looks to have many teams in contention — the Yankees, Rays, Blue Jays and Orioles all boast talented rosters. A rough year may be ahead for the Red Sox, who finished fifth in the division last season before many of their big names departed. This year in the MLB is sure to be as exciting as any, and this division will be one of the most competitive in the league. That’s all for the AL East. Look out for next week’s edition, as I recap the first week of the MLB season.