Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024

Saints soccer shut out in weekend matches

Notre Dame football wasn't the only sports team on the tri-campus who struggled to score on Saturday. Both the Holy Cross men's and women's soccer teams hit the road over the weekend to take on Roosevelt. Neither match went the Saints' way, as the men's team fell 2-0 while the women lost by a 1-0 score.

Despite being outshot, the Saints men's team managed to take the game into halftime tied scoreless. A couple of huge saves by junior goalkeeper Armin Mahmutovic extended the clean sheet into the 72nd minute. Junior forward Isaac Filippo had nearly given Holy Cross the lead 14 minutes earlier, beating Lakers keeper Erik Carvajal with a header — but not the post.

Roosevelt's Alan Rubio ultimately proved to be the hero in the contest. Entering the game with one goal on the year, Rubio broke the deadlock with two tallies in 11 minutes. The first came on the rebound of a shot off the woodwork by Valerio Joos, while Oskar Schuster earned the assist on the second. The Saints finished the game with just one shot on goal, failing to test Carvajal after falling behind. They dropped to 3-6-1 on the year and 1-2 in conference play.

It took less time for points to go on the board in the women's match, although that also did not go in the Saints' favor. An unassisted goal by Daisy Hernandez-Loya in the 28th minute held up as the only one of the match. Junior goalkeeper Taylor Primack did her best to keep Holy Cross in the game, making three saves. But the Saints were never able to take control of the game. The Lakers outshot them 17-8 and held a 9-6 advantage on corners. The defeat drops Holy Cross to 3-5-1 overall and 1-1-1 in CCAC action.

Both squads will be together on the road again this week as they make the intra-state trip to Indiana Northwest. They will each have a fairly late kickoff, with the men's team playing Tuesday and the women's team on Wednesday starting at 9:00 p.m.

Sign up for our Observer Sports newsletter!Have an Irish sports question? Ask it for our Observer Sports mailbag!