Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Being politically ‘middle’: Critical thinking or cop-out?

I have always found a sense of pride in calling myself politically middle, independent or whatever vague term you would like to use to classify someone who doesn’t fully fit into either of the two parties. I often look at the two rivaling parties and roll my eyes. Not because I think either group is inherently wrong, but because I simply can’t relate to falling into one party so strongly as to fully classify myself as such. This mindset of being able to see the pros and cons to both parties has continually been something I view as a positive tenet of my personality. I label myself a “critical thinker,” “a middle ground amongst irreconcilable division” and “a defier of groupthink.” Yet, recently I have begun to question if my refusal to choose a political “side” is actually a more productive way to achieve political harmony…am I really a critical thinker, or am I merely scared to choose a side and be controversial? 

Is it truly better to toe the line between the two parties constantly without ever fully making a stand on different issues than to flat-out state what you believe and potentially cause division among those around you? If you asked me this question a few years ago, I would answer the former without a second thought. However, if you were to ask me now…I’m really not sure. I now fall into the belief that the intent behind what you say or believe matters significantly more than what you actually declare. 

If a person picks purple as their favorite color merely because their two friends’ favorite colors are red and blue and they don’t want to choose a side…is purple really their favorite color? Inversely, if someone were to pick blue as their favorite color merely because a person they don’t like’s favorite color is red, does that actually make blue their favorite color? I believe the intent behind a political declaration is what truly makes the opinion right or wrong. If I want to declare myself an independent, that is perfectly fine, given that my reasoning is I simply don’t align with either party, and not that I am too afraid to make a clear decision. If someone wants to call themselves a Democrat or Republican, that is great, as long as they aren’t doing so simply out of a dislike for the other party. 

I am sick, along with much of America, of seeing the U.S. political system built not on educated opinions or leaders, but rather based out of hatred for the opposing party. In fact, according to Time, as many as 67% of Americans are tired of such intense division. I would love to believe that independents can make a difference within this fiercely divided political system. I would love to believe that my decision to think critically and openly on issues can help encourage others who fall within a distinct party to be more open to listening to the other side. I would love to believe that a majority of Americans actually fall closer to the middle than our political system allows to be shown. 

However, all of these hopes are futile unless those who fall politically in the middle are willing to speak on them. To use the political middle as a “cop-out” means to refuse to share your political opinions — which likely fall on both sides of the political aisle — because you don’t want to ruffle feathers. It means not getting involved in any type of political club or organization because you won’t fully agree with everyone’s opinions. It means not being friends with anyone who falls more extremely into either party because you don’t want to have to hear their differing opinions from your own. 

With that being said, I believe more people speaking out about falling closer to the middle would do immense good for our political system. If those who share these beliefs with me are to not shy away from discussions, speak strongly about what they DO believe (and not what they are trying to avoid) and stop having a fear about not fitting into a distinct box, I believe it would help the U.S. in general become more open and educated. 

I don’t desire to be a wishy-washy person, as I would hope no other politically engaged person would desire to be. I want to be someone who stands strong in what I believe, even if it does fall in the middle of our political system. To be educated does not mean to agree with everything that is written, taught by leaders or believed by your peers. It means to constantly challenge the opinions around you and within you. It is imperative that everyone — Democrats, Republicans, Independents and others — are continually looking inward and asking themselves why they believe what they believe…isn’t this exactly what it means to be a critical thinker?

Lauren Buetow is a junior living in Flaherty Hall studying political science and psychology. She currently serves as the director of social media within BridgeND, a multi-partisan political organization on campus that focuses on an openness to respectfully sharing, discussing and learning about different opinions regarding pertinent political issues.

BridgeND is a multi-partisan political club committed to bridging the partisan divide through respectful and productive discourse. It meets bi-weekly on Mondays at 7 p.m. in Duncan Student Center Meeting Room 1, South W106 to learn about and discuss current political issues, and can be reached at bridgend@nd.edu or on Twitter @bridge_ND.