Thursday, May 16, 2024

Irish to take on Boston College in breast cancer awareness game

1679403755-a7049b4cb38f742-700x522
Notre Dame senior forward Kiki Van Zanten prepares to pass the ball upfield in an Aug. 28, 2022, game against Illinois.

The Notre Dame women's soccer team is off to a great start this season. They are currently ranked No. 11 in the country. Irish women's soccer boasts a record of 7-1-3. Their only loss was at home to the No. 14 Michigan Wolverines, while the three ties came against No. 6 Arkansas, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee.

The Irish are also undefeated in ACC play through four games with a record of 3-0-1. This performance has the Irish tied for first in the ACC with ten points, although Florida State and North Carolina have the edge in goal differential.

The Irish this season are led in points by graduate senior Kiki Van Zanten. She leads the team with four goals and three assists. Van Zanten is also fresh off winning ACC Conference Player of the Week.

This Thursday the Irish look to continue their good play against the Boston College Eagles. The Eagles are 3-7-2 and also sit at the bottom of ACC play with a 0-4 record in the conference and have lost four in a row. The Eagles are led by Junior Ella Richards, who has four goals and two assists on the year. Slowing her down is the top priority for the Irish defense.

Nonetheless, the Eagles will be looking to play spoiler in South Bend on Thursday. It is a game the Irish need to win at home if they want to climb the rankings. Since it is in conference, it will also help the Irish secure seeding for the postseason conference tournament. Only six teams make the tournament at the end of the season, so picking up points against the Eagles is paramount.

The game kicks off Thursday  at 7 p.m. The game is also a promotional event to spread awareness for breast cancer.The first 500 fans in attendance will receive a free pink pom-pom to further the pink-out initiative for the contest. It is also available to watch on ACC Network Extra.