Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024

‘Happy to be Irish’: Dixon reflects on Notre Dame career

1700061414-e3d34db70d06d86-700x467
Senior wide receiver Chase Dixon lines up for a play during a Notre Dame football practice.

Ever since his uncle introduced him to Notre Dame football in third grade, Chase Dixon has dreamed of attending Notre Dame.  

“That was always kind of the dream,” Dixon recalled. “So then when I got in, it was just a major accomplishment and really just a dream come true.”

After enrolling at Notre Dame, Dixon selected computer science as his major and moved into Dunne Hall. However, Dixon did not stop there. He joined one of the most exclusive groups on campus: the Notre Dame football team.

“I walked onto the team [as a wide receiver] spring of my sophomore year,” Dixon said. “So I mean, from that moment onward, just all the changes and  getting to experience playing football and getting close to the guys in the locker room. It's just meant the world.” 

After living in Dunne for three years, the Rockford, Ill., native chose to move off campus for his senior year. Dixon believes that he will carry the perspective that he’s gained from Notre Dame for the rest of his life.  

“Coming from my background and seeing all the different backgrounds that are here, you just learn that the world is so much bigger than you think you know growing up,” he said. “So just getting to hear different people's opinions and thoughts and way of life just really opens your eyes to how different everybody is but that we can all still come together as a Notre Dame community.”

When reflecting on his experience, Dixon said he’s glad to be a member of the Notre Dame football team.  

“I just say it's been a great, great four years and I'm just so glad,” he said. “The experiences and memories that I've been able to make throughout these four years, some of the best friends I could ever ask for in the world, so [I'm] just super happy to be here and happy to be Irish.”

After graduating from the University, Dixon plans to put his bachelor’s degree in computer science to work in the tech space, specifically in a software engineering role.