Thursday, May 16, 2024

Students anticipate TikTok star Brittany Broski

After taking over TikTok’s For You Page with her viral kombucha video in 2019, Brittany Broski will take on the University of Notre Dame on Wednesday in a guest speaker event.

Broski is a social media influencer who specializes in comedy and podcasts. The Student Union Board (SUB) will host a ticketed and moderated discussion with Broski from 7-8 p.m. in DeBartolo 155.

“I’m just really excited I think for the energy that she’ll bring into the room,” senior SUB executive director Lily Condodina said. “She’s really funny, really charismatic, but also, I feel like pretty like down to earth.”

The event will occur in a question-and-answer format. The first 45 minutes of the event will feature questions delivered by two SUB members, and the last 15 minutes will feature questions submitted via Google Forms prior to the event.

“I think it’s really unique that we got to curate the questions as well to ask her [questions]. It’s not like some performance that she’s done a million times,” Condodina said. “I’m really excited to see the students’ reaction and see them enjoy it as well.”

Junior Emily McDougall, director of programming for the Live Entertainment Committee, and sophomore Leila Astolfi, chair of the Live Entertainment Committee, will be on stage with Broski. According to McDougall, the two will ask Broski a variety of questions about Broski’s fame and popular current topics — hoping to get at the humor and perspective that made Broski famous.

“I just hope I don’t word vomit on stage,” McDougall said. “She seems so nice, so I’m really excited to get to sit down with her and kind of have a conversation with her.”

According to Condodina, the Live Entertainment Committee decided they wanted to bring a recognizable comedian to campus during the brainstorming process, which began over the summer. After reviewing lists of names and ideas, the idea of bringing Broski to campus got positive feedback from the group.

“We work with a lot of different agents, and the agent recommended a bunch of comedians, but one on the list was Brittney Broski,” McDougall said. “And I love her, my committee chair loves her. We thought she would be a really great person to bring to Notre Dame’s campus.”

Last year, SUB brought Ben Higgins to Notre Dame, and, two years ago, SUB brought Noel Miller, both of which Condodina thinks compare to Broski in terms of demand and student value. Tickets for Broski’s event went on sale at 7 p.m. Thursday and sold out within 15 minutes.

“I’m always just excited to put on these events for students, especially these large-scale events and get to bring people to Notre Dame’s campus and show them how cool Notre Dame is,” McDougall said. “And I'm excited to see what her answers are. I really have no idea what to expect, so I’m excited to get up there and laugh right along with her.”

For freshman Mary Williams, seeing Broski is a “high priority.” Williams said she will be standing in the wait line outside of the event because she could not get a ticket online.

“I think it’s amazing that we have the resources to get someone who is so big for our generation,” Williams said. “And while we have opportunities to attend the lectures of economists or senators, I love that SUB is taking the strides to connect us with celebrities of our own generation.”