Thursday, May 16, 2024

Why you should pick up that extra major

The summer before my freshman year at Notre Dame, my mother recommended that I take an introductory course in Economics. I knew I wanted to enter the Program of Liberal Studies and spend my time asking history’s greatest philosophical questions, but she insisted that I educate myself on matters of money and fiscal policy. So, I enrolled in Professor Spence’s Principles of Microeconomics course, and I loved it so much that I impulsively declared a second major in economics. Four years later, I’m performing fully funded research in Bhutan for my senior thesis on the ethical implications of fiscal policy (special thanks to the Roberts Endowment and the UROP Senior Thesis Grant). I do not intend to enter a field related to economics, but I have no regrets. The moral of the story — besides that your mom is usually right — is that a second major is likely to send you somewhere unexpected. Underclassmen: if there is a subject outside of your course of study that interests you, this is your sign to declare a second major. Take the interdisciplinary path. You won’t regret it, and here’s why.

The disadvantage of specialization is that we forget what other methods of thinking are out there. Each field of study has a certain orthodoxy associated with it: a way of teaching and learning, a way of approaching problems and a way of understanding the world. Liberal arts students see the world through the lens of philosophy and art, and they learn through the Socratic method. Science students solve problems through expertise and experimentation. Business focuses on collaboration and creation, the social sciences focus on linking cause and effect and engineering focuses on creative problem-solving. Each discipline has its own expertise to bring to the table, and in specializing in just one, we limit our capabilities. By adding a second major, one exposes oneself to a completely new approach to knowledge and education.

This changes and contextualizes one’s understanding of education on both sides of the argument. With my double major in Great Books and Economics, I see philosophy from the social scientist’s perspective and social science from the philosopher’s perspective. I am often shocked by the difference in learning methods between my majors, and this allows me to see the flaws that are inherent in each of their ways of teaching. In my Econ courses, I recognize short-sighted interpretations of Adam Smith, Karl Marx and other political philosophers. In my PLS courses, I see unjustified contempt for statistics and flawed understandings of economic principles. All disciplines ought to stay in constant dialogue with one another, and the interdisciplinary student is essential for facilitating that dialogue. Be the theology student in a computer science class, or the neuroscience student in a literature seminar, and you might start an interesting conversation.

This contextualized knowledge will also make you a better employee in the future. While a career in finance won’t depend on your knowledge of film from FTT classes, your cultural education and ability to ask interpretive questions might come in handy. Employers love data scientists who write like English majors, doctors who are trained in sociology and accountants who think like philosophers. At the end of the day, your studies at Notre Dame aren’t just meant to give you technical preparation for a specialized field. They are meant to prepare you for a successful long-term career and an educated, examined life. A second major helps you realize this goal more fully.

You might be wondering if it is better to take introductory electives in lots of different subjects, rather than investing lots of time and effort in a full-blown second major. I don’t recommend this. Introductory courses tend to be very superficial; they are meant to prepare first-years to enter a whole realm of knowledge and debate that you cannot access without committing to the major. Studying fewer disciplines at a higher level allows you to fully immerse yourself in the intricacies and controversies of those subjects. The double-major graduate has done more than dabble in other subjects — he or she has taken the time to seriously master an entirely new field.

Finally, there is the question of fitting everything into your schedule. I promise that it is less difficult than your advisor would have you believe. A second major or supplementary major can take as few as ten extra courses, and they often count for several core requirements. Even if your primary major is seriously course-heavy, such as my 86-credit regime in the Program of Liberal Studies, it is usually possible to take a second major without overloading on credits. Also, departmental advisors are often flexible about prerequisites and graduation requirements. On top of both of my majors, I was able to enroll in eight different completely free electives, thanks to some strategic scheduling and help from my professors. If you want to enroll in a second major, don’t panic about scheduling. Talk to your advisor and professors in the department, and they will be happy to help you out.

At Notre Dame, you get a four-year window to access a top-notch education in any field you want. Why choose just one? Pick up that other random subject you’ve been interested in. You can thank me later.

Rose is a senior from Buffalo, NY with majors in economics and the Program of Liberal Studies. Her writing interests include ethics, campus culture and the intersection of economics, politics and philosophy. When she's not writing, you can find her reading on the 10th floor of the library, losing intramural basketball games or working at the Law School. You can contact Rose by email at rquiniaz@nd.edu.